A Wrinkle in Time

by Madeleine L'Engle | Children's Books |
Registered by Skylerdragon of Parkville, Missouri USA on 7/24/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Skylerdragon from Parkville, Missouri USA on Thursday, July 24, 2003
Original Book Released with this BCID was

Written way back in 1973, this book offers suggestions for helping children with the most necessary tasks of learning. Reading, Writing and critical thinking are the central issues addressed, however Blumenfeld offers 67 different lessons that provide help in all subject areas including mathematics, history and science.

The tone of the book is professional as it should be. Blumenfeld does not waste time mincing words or hypothesizing great theories as to why such exercises are helpful, useful or important. Instead each strategy is thouroughly explained and demonstraated through the lessons provided.

Updated ideas in education have surpassed Blumenfeld's approach since the publication of this book. However, the ideas are no more archaic than the values we place on leanring and success in education. It is important to remember, all educational theories have a place in the practice; some may never be suitable for every child.

Teachers and parents looking to collaborate on improving a child's performance in class may find this manual helpful.

Released on Friday, July 25, 2003 at Controlled Release by mail to another BookCrosser in Adrian, Missouri USA.

I mailed How To Tutor: For Parents and Teachers- A Manual that Works by Samuel L. Blumenfeld to my good sister Katherine. I have high hopes that she will soon join the ranks of BookCrossers. Enjoy Katherine!

Title Changed July 6, 2004 to A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.
I changed this title, because the previous title is outdated and probably no longer in demand. This is not a good BookCrossing title. Even among teachers, new books surface every year as research develops changing strategies for educators to adopt. Also, my Good Sister Katherine doesn't seem to have the means to register it right now. The note is kept above for her though so if she descides to update it, she can still access it on BookCrossing. A Wrinkle In Time is one of those stories that never leave the reader. The characters, plot, setting, conflict and even theme of the story are penetrating and unforgettable. I love and adore Meg. She represents everything I want to be, yet somehow reflects every girl I have ever met in some way. She is extraordinary. Her stuborn, awkward tantrums, and her impatience and curiosity are some of her most subtle charms.
Charles Wallace is whimsical and brilliant. He is the perfect antithesis of Meg and actually helps to highlight Meg's charms, flaws, and overall character. Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs Who, and Mrs Which are great and probably contribute the comic relief in this fascinating tale of good versus evil. And Calvin. I like Calvin a lot too because of how happy he makes Meg. He allows Meg to see a side of herself that she isnt aware of without him.
L'Engle did an incridble job in all aspects of this story. The plot is exciting from begining to end, the settings are creative and magical throughout, and the overall mood of the story is incredible. I really think I will never forget this story. I am most fascinated however with her ability to weve the theme of good versus evil throughout the book. The story even echoes the salvation story and casts the reader into a struggle against thier own personal sins. I loved how subtly yet simply L'Engle did this.
My students for the most part really enjoyed this story! I'd like to try discussion groups with the story next year. I think this story opens and entire can of opportunity for the enthusiastic Comm Arts teacher. My students enjoyed it and I think that even the nonreaders liked the fun voices I used when we read it together.

This edition of A Wrinkle in Time is being Mailed to Pochacco in Oakwood, Georgia. Hope she enjoys it.

I have to admit this is really one of the best books I have ever read in my life. I keep registering and releasing it because it really is an incredible story. Every child should read this book. I really should read the rest of the series too. Fantastic stuff. Listed below are my other journal entries:

here, and
here.

Journal Entry 3 by Pochacco from Oakwood, Georgia USA on Sunday, July 18, 2004
This was sent to me as an extra book in a trade. Thanks a lot Skylerdragon!
Although I've never been very interested in L'Engle's later books, I know a lot of people like them, so I'll be releasing this one soon!

Journal Entry 4 by Pochacco from Oakwood, Georgia USA on Saturday, July 24, 2004
reserved for JenLuvsBooks

Journal Entry 5 by Pochacco at Private Release in Oakwood, Georgia USA on Thursday, August 12, 2004
Released on Sunday, August 08, 2004 at Private Release in Oakwood, Georgia USA.

Mailed to a BCer

Journal Entry 6 by danadiary from Roswell, Georgia USA on Thursday, August 12, 2004
I read this so long ago, I can't remember the story (except that I liked it). I plan to read it with my 10-year-old daughter.