Survivor in Death

by J. D. Robb | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 10/29/2010
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Friday, October 29, 2010
Book 20 in the Eve Dallas series.

From the blurb:
Nine-year-old Nixie Swisher's sudden urge for a midnight snack may just have saved her life. While her parents, brother and best-friend lay in their beds, oblivious to the danger, Nixie was in the kitchen and saw far too much.

Having gotten my first taste of J.D. Robb I was looking forward to reading more about Eve Dallas. Still, when I saw this book in a my local second hand bookshop ("East of Eden") in the beginning of August, I had already been promised two other Dallas books for the next meet-up and thus, although it sounded really good, decided not to be too greedy and eventually ended up leaving the shop without buying anything.

Two-and-a-half months later I still haven't read book 3 and 4 of the series, but I just couldn't get this one out of my head. Last Saturday, I finally caved, went back to the bookshop and was lucky enough to find this book right where I'd last seen it. Yay! Since I was in a really good mood because of that, I had a good look around, found two more books, and had a really nice chat with the shopkeeper. Fun day all around. And of course, in the evening I started reading...

I love the cover; it's so much more stylish than the translations. The prologue was awesome, and it only kept getting better. Eve and Roarke are delightful as ever, and it was laughing-out-loud hilarious to watch them both, usually so self-controlled, all flustered by a little girl. Nixie herself was utterly adorable, I so hoped they'd decide to adopt her. (However unlikely that may be.)

The plot, the characters, suspense and writing - I loved it! Now I can't decide whether I like this one best or the first one, and am teetering on whether I want to give it away already... no, yes, no -- maybe, as a loan?

This time around, sex was rather scarce, probably only natural with a kid running around, but still... :P

There were a lot of references to earlier books (at least half a dozen of them, probably more) but it all seemed perfectly natural and made me really curious to find out more about them. I'm now looking forwards to finding out why they married so early in the series, something that'll hopefully get explained in book 3. By coincidence, I read the book in the same time frame (end of October) that the story took place. Funny, that.

Reserved for tacx, but could I pretty please have it back when you're done? *puppy dog eyes*

Journal Entry 2 by erinacea at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (11/10/2010 UTC) at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany

Handed to tacx during today's meet-up.

Journal Entry 3 by tacx at Wedding, Berlin Germany on Thursday, November 11, 2010
Danke! Ich bin gespannt, ob ich das wirklich so einfach weglesen kann. Die Geschichte will ich auf jeden Fall lesen. Geht danach wie versprochen zurück.
Es fiel mir am Anfang verdammt schwer, ins Englische reinzukommen, insbesondere weil es manchmal eine ganz schön wüste Sprache ist. Ab und an ging mein Blick zum Computer beim Nachschauen mancher Worte. Aber es war gut, es jetzt durch zu haben.
Die GEschichte fand ich gut, wie immer auch wenn wirklich nicht so viele Sexszenen drin sind, wie in den Bänden davor, aber die anwandlungen Richtung Kinder, insbesondere eigener von Roarke und Eve waren schon nett. Ich bin ja mal gespannt, ob sie es irgendwann durchziehen. Immerhin ist Mavis schon schwanger. Was da wohl rauskommt?

Journal Entry 4 by tacx at Wedding, Berlin Germany on Thursday, November 25, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (12/10/2010 UTC) at Wedding, Berlin Germany

wandert wieder zurück zu erinacea beim MeetUp

Journal Entry 5 by erinacea at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Saturday, December 11, 2010
Back home, thank you! :D