The Museum of Unconditional Surrender

by Dubravka Ugresic | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 186159061X Global Overview for this book
Registered by davemurray101 of Granville, New South Wales Australia on 10/26/2010
Journal Entry 1 by davemurray101 from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Through an interweaving of fragments, stories and diaries, Dubravka Ugresic, a prize-winning novelist from the former Yugoslavia, brings to life the world of a group of characters living in Berlin and Lisbon, preoccupied with questions of exile, nationalism, angels and parables.

Journal Entry 2 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Replacement for bookray The Museum of Unconditional Surrender

Remaining participants are -

7. TomHl (USA)
8. Natgirl101 (can) - Not Responding
9. KLL (au)
10. FreePages (au)
11. dolphin-au (au)

Journal Entry 3 by davemurray101 at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/27/2010 UTC) at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Posted to TomHl of Wisconsin

Journal Entry 4 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, November 04, 2010
After a long wait, a copy of this book has finally arrived. Thanks, davemurray101 for restarting the bookray and mailing it to me. I'll be reading this once I finish my re-read of Fifty Degrees Below.

Journal Entry 5 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Friday, November 12, 2010
I am reading the book right now, and felt a need to attach this photo from my own albums. Because I am the one who usually does the photography, it is one of the very few pictures of myself in pre-war Jugoslavija. It was in Trogir (Croatia) in 1983 I believe. There were at that time and place still bullet holes from World War 2 visible on the wall I am sitting on.

Journal Entry 6 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, November 14, 2010
I finished this book quite quickly. Since it is relevant to the book, I should mention that I am a Croatian-American, born in the US, but somewhat familiar with both the Croatian and German languages - and I am the adoptive father of a daughter from Bulgaria since 1993. So I felt quite familiar with the history and the settings and the issues of pan-Slavism vs. nationalism, and they are authentic in this book. It is possible other readers will not recognize that Bubi is a child version of the name Dubravka, and the extent to which this novel is written in an autobiographical style. However, it is at least partially non-factual, passing over into magic realism near the end.

The book is not about the war, but about the impact of sudden culture change that can make misfits out of people, especially intellectuals such Ugresic herself. Maybe she was something of a misfit in the first place too. She relates this to her philosophical perspectives on memory itself, in a way that reminded me of Milan Kundera in Ignorance. I felt the fragmented style of the book was not a detraction but interesting. However, the final two or three chapters seemed as if they came from a different book and I don't think the result works together as well as it should have. Still, overall a good read and I recommend it.

Journal Entry 7 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/24/2010 UTC) at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA

I sent a PM to Natgirl101 back on November 13, but there has been no response. Therefore, davemurray101 and I have agreed to skip to the next person in the bookray.

I've received the address from KLL, and today the book was mailed first class to Western Australia. This usually takes 5 to 10 days. It is the day before a major holiday here in the US, and so a small delay is possible.

Journal Entry 8 by KLL at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, December 11, 2010
I received this in the post this week - thank you to TomHl for mailing it over and packing it so beautifully! I have a few books I need to read before this one, but certainly hope to get to it over the Christmas break.

Journal Entry 9 by KLL at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, January 22, 2011
I finished this book last night and really enjoyed it. I loved the way it was written, with is fragments and changing style. I felt the style matched the subject matter well, describing the fragmented life of exile. The book has given me new appreciation of the war in Yugolsavia and I found the process of reading the book to be very reflective for me - relfecting on both the subject matter and the style and how they intertwined.

Anyway, thank you to davemurray101 for organising this book ring. I will PM FreePages now and endeavour to get the bookring moving again!

Journal Entry 10 by KLL at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, February 04, 2011
Woops - forgot to journal that this was posted to FreePages earlier this week. Hope you enjoy it!!

Journal Entry 11 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, July 17, 2011
Oh my gosh- found ANOTHER bookcrossing book by Mount Toobie by the bed.
Apologies, I've had eye trouble and life has been hectic.
This goes much higher up the pile.
Thanks so much to everyone for sending it and for your patience in waiting on me.
It looks like such an interesting novel!