The Book of Night Women

by Marlon James | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 10/22/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Friday, October 22, 2010
Book Description:
Described by the "New York Times" as both beautifully written and devastating', this is a startling, hard-edged dissection of slavery - a tour de force of voice and storytelling. At the heart of the novel is the extraordinary character Lilith, a spirited slave girl struggling to transcend the violence into which she is born, her story narrated in one of the boldest literary voices to grace the page. Overflowing with high drama and heartbreak, at its centre is the conspiracy of the Night Women, a clandestine council of fierce slave women plotting an island-wide revolt. Rebellions simmer, incidents of sadism and madness run rampant, and the tangled web of power relationships dramatically unravels amid dangerous secrets, unspoken jealousies, inhuman violence, and very human emotion.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Friday, January 04, 2019
This was a very powerful novel about a slave revolt that takes place on a Jamaican sugar plantation in the late 1700s. It is told in Jamaican patois from the point of view of a group of slave women who instigate the revolt. Although at first I found the dialect of the narrative sometimes hard to follow, as the novel progressed I can see why it was written this way. It really gave a voice to the women and how slavery affected them all. It was very graphic in its descriptions of the abuse heaped onto the slaves...more so than any other novel I have ever read. It is another example of how men can heap cruelty upon others only because of race. The novel runs the gamut of emotions and shows the relationships among the slaves themselves and between slave and master. The characterizations of the women in the novel were brilliant and gave insight into the minds of how they were able to cope with slavery and cruelty.

This is really a great and powerful novel that I would highly recommend.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Wishlist surprise!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 04, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (1/4/2019 UTC) at Wishlist surprise!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending to J4Shaw as a wishlist tag. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingJ4shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Thursday, January 10, 2019
I read Marlon James' debut novel John Crow's Devil in 2016 which was a struggle, but as is the way with my idiosyncrasy in that I read an author's books in the order they were written, (regardless of whether their books link on to one another or not) I needed to read that, in order to get to this one.
Looking forward to reading it, and thank you to perryfran for the Tag.