The Immaculate Deception

by Iain Pears | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/11/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 11, 2010
I love Iain Pears' Art History mysteries featuring Jonathan Argyll, so was delighted to find one I hadn't read, the 7th in the series, in a second-hand bookshop in Hay-on-Wye, the second-hand bookshop capital of the UK and a true booklovers' paradise. It was only a short visit but great fun and very productive!

From the Amazon Editorial Review: "When an important, politically sensitive painting is kidnapped in Rome, Flavia di Stefano, acting head of the Italian Art Theft Squad, is told to get it back at all costs -- without causing any embarrassment to the country and without paying the ransom. Put in an impossible position, she turns for help to her old mentor General Taddeo Bottando, who casts a wholly unexpected light on the crime. In the meantime, her husband, English art historian Jonathan Argyll, embarks on an investigation of his own. As a gift to Bottando, he decides to establish the provenance of a small Renaissance painting, an Immaculate Conception, currently hanging on the wall of the general's apartment. Absorbing and ingeniously plotted, The Immaculate Deception is both a fascinating art-history puzzle and a gripping murder mystery as the search for the truth uncovers shocking secrets from the past and leads Argyll and Flavia into the path of some very dangerous enemies indeed."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 31, 2010
A heady mix of art and politics, theft and terrorism, woven into a convoluted tale where revelations from the past are essential for an understanding the present! A good story, an amusing and entertaining writing style, interesting relationships developing between the characters .... this novel's great company for a lazy weekend :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 06, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/6/2010 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

I know mrsgaskell enjoyed The Titian Committee so I was pleased to give her another Jonathan Argyll mystery when we met this weekend. It was wonderful to see you here in Knaresborough!

Journal Entry 4 by wingCJL-230711wing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 06, 2010
It was great fun to finally meet face-to-face, Nu-Knees, and Mr. G and I thoroughly enjoyed our day of Knaresborough sightseeing with you and Mr.N-K.

Thanks for another Iain Pears! I'm afraid I'll be travelling home with as many books as I brought with me!

Journal Entry 5 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, May 28, 2011
I always enjoy mysteries that involve events from the past! When art dealer Jonathan Argyll sets out to establish the provenance of a painting he discovers that it was mysteriously stolen and rediscovered decades ago and that its current owner General Taddeo Bottando was one of the policemen involved at the time. Bottando is the former boss of Flavia di Stefano who heads the Italian Art Theft Squad and is now also Argyll's wife. Flavia is involved in a tricky political situation due to another art theft and consults Bottando. The plot raised all kinds of suspicions in my mind, many of which were way off. I took this book on holidays with me and it was perfect entertaining reading for a long train journey. Thanks Nu-Knees for letting me enjoy more adventures with Jonathan Argyll and Flavia di Stefano. Wonder what they'll get up to next with the new developments in their life?!

Journal Entry 6 by wingCJL-230711wing at Royal Scot Hotel & Suites in Victoria, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, May 28, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (5/26/2011 UTC) at Royal Scot Hotel & Suites in Victoria, British Columbia Canada

I left this on the bookshelf in the Games Room in the basement of the Royal Scot Hotel.

If you've found this book, I hope you'll enjoy it and make a journal entry so previous and future readers can track its travels.