The Arrival

by Shaun Tan | Children's Books |
Registered by Minerva101 of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 10/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 09, 2010
This is one of the most wonderful books I have ever 'read'. And truly, even though this book is wordless, you feel very much as though you have read a fantastic story. I can't get over the amazing artwork. I recommend this book to everybody!

From Chapters.ca
In a heartbreaking parting, a man gives his wife and daughter a last kiss and boards a steamship. He's embarking on the most difficult journey. He is leaving home to build a better future for his family. In this wordless graphic novel, Shaun Tan captures the immigrant experience through clear, mesmerizing images. The reader enters a strange new world, participating in the main character's isolation and ultimately his joy.

Journal Entry 2 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 09, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (10/9/2010 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am releasing this book at our Calgary Bookcrossing meeting today at the Joshua Tree Cafe as our monthly theme this month is graphic novels. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 10, 2010
The artwork of this book is intriguing just at first glance, so I am anxious to explore this 'wordless' story. Thanks to Minerva101 for another interesting book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 16, 2010
Wordless graphic novel depicting the immigrant experience using a mixture of realistic and fantastical images. I admired the authors use of panel size to convey the focus or emotion or importance to the image within the panel. Interesting as well is the author's depiction of time for the journey with 60 panels read over two facing pages and of the year waiting for his family with the two-page spread with the change of seasons. A beautiful book. Thank you Minerva101 for sharing it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 13, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (11/13/2010 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the November Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe.

Journal Entry 6 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 13, 2010
I was lucky to snag this promising book at the BookCrossing Calgary meet-up at Joshua Tree Café. It's sitting at the top of my reading pile. Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (12/11/2010 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I was thrilled to be the next reader of this artfully illustrated wordless graphic novel. It certainly conveyed the strangness of a new land. I raced through the first time, and then went back and slowly enjoyed the panels on a second "read".

Thank you, Minerva101, for bringing this lovely book for the group to enjoy. I will be bringing it to the December Calgary BookCrossing Meet-up at the Joshua Tree Café, so it can find its next reader.

Journal Entry 8 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, December 13, 2010
Picked up at the December bookcrossing meeting. I think I'm going to have to take extra time at christmas to get caught up on all my reading!!

Journal Entry 9 by megami-no-ushi at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 06, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (2/12/2011 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

I'm bringing this little gem back to the Feb meeting to find another "reader."

I thought Tan's art was gorgeous and so imaginative. He's created this richly detailed world of unique creatures, plants, foodstuff, language, archetecture everything. I particularily LOVED the animals. He really created the story and drew you in despite it being wordless.

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 10 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 13, 2011
Grabbed at Josuha Tree Cafe get together

Truly beautiful and breathtaking. The journey of the man finding a new life shown through pictures is a brillant idea, and was depicted perfectly. I don't really have words to describe it. Thank you for the terriffic experience!

Journal Entry 11 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 09, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (4/9/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at Joshua Tree Cafe BC get together

Journal Entry 12 by PanikKitty at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 18, 2012
This was a wonderful book that beautifully juxtaposes the experience of seeing something completely new against the feelings of uncertainty and helplessness.

Journal Entry 13 by PanikKitty at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (3/18/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Giving to a fellow book crosser for exchange.

Journal Entry 14 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2012
What can I say about this amazing book!!?? I came home from the Bookcrossing meetup and left my bagful of new books in the car except for this one. I just finished reading it with my daughters, and it was amazing!! I could relate the story to my ancestors who came to Canada from Ukraine over 100 years ago. They came from the simple and familiar to the strange new world to make a new life for their families. Thank you for helping my daughters and I experience what they must have gone through!

Journal Entry 15 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 10, 2012
Picked up at the June Calgary Bookcrossing Meeting.

Journal Entry 16 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012
This was so beautiful and evocative. The wacky animals and strange fruits were quirky and hilarious, but also really served to create a sense of strangeness and displacement.

Journal Entry 17 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (7/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to Christmas in July at the Joshua Tree.

Journal Entry 18 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2012
Picked up at monthly bookcrossing meeting. Haven't read a graphic novel before....

Journal Entry 19 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 28, 2012
So going through my books and realize I don't have a journal entry. Could swear I did it.... must have been in my head.

Read it twice. Not sure I like graphic novels but the artwork is beautiful.

Journal Entry 20 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (10/13/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the monthly bookcrossing meeting to pass on to the next person waiting for it.

Journal Entry 21 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2012
Picked up at October's meeting. Adding to my really large TBR pile, better start reading...

Journal Entry 22 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 21, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (9/12/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am overloaded with books and a new baby so returning this as other people are waiting for it. I would like it back at sometime though....

Journal Entry 23 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 12, 2015
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing September meet-up. I read Shaun Tan's other book "Lost and Found", but this one looks even better.

Journal Entry 24 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 19, 2015
This is an amazing book. The author conveys so much without using a single word. The art is beautiful, too. It's an alien land, but at the same time, it's not.

Journal Entry 25 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 10, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (10/10/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing October meet-up.

Journal Entry 26 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 11, 2015
Brought this home from the October BookCrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 27 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2016
Beautiful artwork

Journal Entry 28 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2016
Beautiful artwork

Journal Entry 29 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (8/13/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the August BookCrossing meeting to be enjoyed by the next reader.

Journal Entry 30 by Calicookie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Picked this up from the August meeting!

Journal Entry 31 by Calicookie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 22, 2016
This book is absolutely amazing! I really love the detail and emotion in each picture. I feel this book has not only helped me to understand my Ukrainian and German ancestors, but also my husband as he is new to Canada and must feel just like the people in this book. Thank-you for giving me the wonderful opportunity to read this and gain a better understanding of what it's like to make a new life in a new land.