Buffalo Unbound: A Celebration

by Laura Pedersen | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 10/8/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 08, 2010
Amazon Editorial Review

Writing about the economic collapse and social unrest of her 1970s childhood in Buffalo, New York, Laura Pedersen was struck by how things were finally improving in her beloved hometown. As 2008 began, Buffalo was poised to become the thriving metropolis it had been a hundred years earlier—only instead of grain and steel, the booming industries now included health care and banking, education and technology. Folks who'd moved away due to lack of opportunity in the 1980s talked excitedly about returning home. They missed the small-town friendliness, and it wasn't nostalgia for a past that no longer existed—Buffalo has long held the well-deserved nickname the City of Good Neighbors. The diaspora has ended. Preservationists are winning out over demolition crews. The lights are back on in a city that's usually associated with blizzards and blight rather than its treasure trove of art, architecture, and culture. Buffalo Unbound is a humorous and heartfelt look at the rise, fall, and rebirth of the great Rust Belt city.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 04, 2010
Laura Pedersen's first autobiographical novel Buffalo Gal was about growing up in Buffalo in the 70's. Buffalo Unbound is an extension of that book. Buffalo Gal is an excellent book but does not have to be read before Buffalo Unbound. Buffalo Unbound contains a number of short stories about a variety of topics. Buffalo is finally coming out of the depression caused by the steel and car industries and is starting to thrive again. The new booming industries include: health care, banking and education.

Pedersen has written about the history, climate, arts and culture and shopping places of Buffalo. I believe this book is geared mostly to those who live around the Buffalo area or intend to visit. Several of the stories are written almost like a stand-up comedy routine, just plain funny.

Pedersen wrote this book in order to prove Forbes wrong in their assertion that Buffalo is on the 10 most miserable places to live list. She has done that and imparted to the reader how special Buffalo is in her heart.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 18, 2010
mailed today to MyssCyn

Journal Entry 4 by MyssCyn at San Antonio, Texas USA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010
I received this in the mail Saturday and thought I'd journaled it but remembered my computer shut off on me after I hit "Submit Journal Entry" so this JE is late and I neglected to send a thank you. I am so sorry.
I loved this book. I read it on a drive to and from Hounston on Sunday. I miss Western NY and this book reminded of so much of my high school and college years. Thank you so much for sending me this book AceofHearts. I will offer it to two friends in Lancaster, NY so it may be heading back north soon.

Journal Entry 5 by MyssCyn at Lancaster, New York USA on Sunday, December 26, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (12/26/2010 UTC) at Lancaster, New York USA

Going back north to hagathorn in Lancaster because she loves Buffalo too. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by hagathorn at Buffalo, New York USA on Monday, January 31, 2011
Ooooo A RABCK I cannot wait to read! Thanks, MyssCyn!

Journal Entry 7 by hagathorn at Orlando, Florida USA on Sunday, November 09, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (11/9/2014 UTC) at Orlando, Florida USA

To a friend who migrated from the area. :-)