Shadows Of The Workhouse: The Drama Of Life In Postwar London

by Jennifer Worth | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by kingfan30 of -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on 10/3/2010
Journal Entry 1 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 09, 2011
This book is split into three parts, the first being about three people who had spent their time in workhouses and how it affected their lives. This was horrific reading at times, but interesting.

The second is about the trial of a nun who the author worked with, which I found quite tedious at times.

The third part was about an elderly gentleman that the author treated which was an interesting story and he reminded me of my father-in-law.

Overall an interesting read but with not a huge amount of workhouse details, I guess thats where the shadow comes from in the title!

Journal Entry 2 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 10, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/10/2011 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent out as a RABCK and as part of the Ultimate challenge 2011

Journal Entry 3 by chocdrop at on Saturday, March 12, 2011
Many thanks, kingfan30, for sending me a book off my wishlist. I read Jennifer Worth's first book, Call the Midwife, and I found it fascinating, so I am looking forward to this one.