Reading Lolita In Tehran

by Azar Nafisi | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 10/1/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Friday, October 01, 2010
I just picked this up at the Swindon Oxfam shop to release it at the Unconvention.

This is a tremendously interesting account of a woman’s life in a totalitarian state, in Iran in the 80s and 90s. And at the same time an interesting book about literature, about some of the world’s most famous authors and their works. Azar Nafisi has a beautiful, unusual way of interweaving a very personal diary-style account of her life with literary criticism, portrayals of her students and their lives, and descriptions of political and social life in Iran. It’s about survival (physical and mental), about inner emigration with the help of literature. Reading Lolita in Tehran describes how books help to find an inner sanctuary (more or less). It’s certainly helpful to have read the novels that feature in this book, not just for a deeper understanding of this one, but also to gain new insights into the mentioned works. Still, it is easy to follow Reading Lolita without having read them, as the author gives short summaries. Despite not having read anything by Henry James I didn’t have any problem with the chapter about James – but have decided to read one or two of his novels soon.
I hate to hear that this book is being instrumentalised by politicians propagating invasion of Iran – and then criticised by others for this (see Wikipedia).

Released 8 yrs ago (10/2/2010 UTC) at 2010 Swindon Unconvention, Jury's Inn Hotel in Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Released on the book buffet
at the UK Bookcrossing UnConvention 2010 in Swindon.

Journal Entry 3 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, October 03, 2010
Picked it up at the Uncon.

Released 8 yrs ago (11/19/2010 UTC) at Mailed to my secret partner, Secret Santa Exchange -- Controlled Releases

Nattabee's Secret Angels 2010.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMiuMwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, December 26, 2010
Thank you for your Secret Santa Gift!
I really love it, because the book is from my wishlist.The socks are great and I like also the chocolates, tea and cards. :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2011!

Journal Entry 6 by wingMiuMwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, July 11, 2011
I have read half of the book and thought it was interesting at the beginning, but then it just started to seem not boring but somehow uninteresting. I will read it through anyway.. I just need the right feeling and moment for it. :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingMiuMwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, October 15, 2011
I have read so many different kind of fiction, non-fiction and biographies of people living in totalitarian islamic countries that I think I have had an overdose of them. This was a good account of real women's lives and the way they associated the books with their surroundings was fascinating. Still, I found the book a bit dull. Perhaps the problem is with me and the huge mountains of books I have in my tbr-shelf. I just can't focus when I'm already thinking the next book to read. :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingMiuMwing at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, August 21, 2012
I tagged Lamelemon with this on the wishlist tag game, so the book goes next to her.

--> Greetings from Posankka that is a public statue in Turku, Finland

Journal Entry 9 by wingMiuMwing at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/23/2012 UTC) at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

The book travels soon to lamelemon.
Have a good time reading it!

Journal Entry 10 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Thank you so much MiuM for this wishlist tag book I've been meaning to read for ages! (hope Mt. TBR will kindly allow me to read this one as soon as I'd like to). Also thanks for the Turku postcard (lovely!) and double-thanks for using stamps :)

Journal Entry 11 by raluk68 at București, Wallachia Romania on Thursday, July 24, 2014
The book is now with me!
I want to read it since a long time, now it's my chance to do so :)

Thank you lamelemon for sharing it!