Girl from the South

by Joanna Trollope | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by fracula of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 9/21/2010
Journal Entry 1 by fracula from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 21, 2010
An admired English author of wryly intelligent family dramas, Trollope has never enjoyed a particularly wide American readership. This very likable novel, which features a protagonist from South Carolina involved with an English visitor, might change that. It even offers the notion that American family traditions, particularly Southern ones, offer a stability that contemporary English relationships often lack. Gillon Stokes is the odd girl out in her tradition-bound Charleston family, and when she goes to London on a typically whimsical impulse to pursue art research, she catches the eye of nature photographer Henry. When she casually invites him back home for a visit, Henry is charmed by the same folkways that Gillon finds so stifling, and he soon becomes so much part of her family that he begins turning their sense of themselves and each other upside down. Back in London, Henry's girlfriend, Tilly, is having problems keeping his friend William at bay, and discovers that she cares more than she expected she would about Henry's defection.

Journal Entry 2 by fracula at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 31, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (12/30/2010 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Left on the "free"bookshelf, just to the left, inside the doors.
=================================================================
DEAR FINDER,

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold. If you decide to join, consider listing Fracula as referring you.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, January 4, 2011
I made a visit to Joshua Tree as I was craving one of their yummy burgers and just happened to find this on the shelf. Looks interesting... Thanks Fracula!

Journal Entry 4 by Crossing-Guard at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Released 11 yrs ago (7/9/2011 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

I have too many books and need to pass some along. As a result this one needs to go... I was hoping to read it at some point but there are just too many to choose from. I hope it finds a reader that enjoys it.

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details on how. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.

Journal Entry 5 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 13, 2011
I actually got this at the July Calgary BookCrossing Meeting, I was planning to journal it after I read it, but apparently that's bad manners, so, sorry everyone, I have it, its safe.

Journal Entry 6 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 17, 2012
So, having picked this up at my first Calgary BC meeting ever, I finally got around to reading it. Overall it was good, although I'm very concerned that the taste in regular fiction novels I'm developing is a sign of impending adulthood.

I loved the characters and the ideas which were looked at of trying to balance family and independence and too many choices, but there was no real forward motion to the plot. Everyone just continued to do things until the ending showed up. The ending was really good and tied off a lot of the character arcs and wrapped up the story really well, but if I hadn't been able to see how far into the book I was, I would never have been able to tell.

Journal Entry 7 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Released 10 yrs ago (4/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I picked this up at my very first BC meeting ever and now I get to bring it back, so that's exciting. I'm not entirely sure if it will go, I think it might actually have been around everyone but me.

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2012
Picked up at the meeting today.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Boy - some of these characters were really stuck in a rut. Interesting tale of families and lack of families. Thought I wasn't going to like it but I did.

Journal Entry 10 by underasunnysky at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 8, 2013
Picked up at the Calgary BookCrossing Group.

Journal Entry 11 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, June 17, 2022
Returned to me at at a spontaneous meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

For future release.

Released 5 mos ago (6/26/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library - Huntwick Cres NE in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Hello and congratulations!

You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large.

If it's not your cup of tea, pass it on and consider this as your invitation to the wonderful world of BookCrossing!

Enjoy. Good Book Karma to You!