Smilla's Sense of Snow *1001-listed*

by Høeg, Peter | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 9/19/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, September 19, 2010
Synopsis:
"he thinks more highly of snow and ice than she does of love. She lives in a world of numbers, science and memories--a dark, exotic stranger in a strange land. And now Smilla Jaspersen is convinced she has uncovered a shattering crime...
It happened in the Copenhagen snow. A six-year-old boy, a Greenlander like Smilla, fell to his death from the top of his apartment building. While the boy's body is still warm, the police pronounce his death an accident. But Smilla knows her young neighbor didn't fall from the roof on his own. Soon she is following a path of clues as clear to her as footsteps in the snow. For her dead neighbor, and for herself, she must embark on a harrowing journey of lies, revelation and violence that will take her back to the world of ice and snow from which she comes, where an explosive secret waits beneath the ice...."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, September 19, 2010
A bit a strange book, at least the Dutch version is. I liked it though and thought that more people should get to read it.
What better way is there than to find it on the wishlist of a birthday buddy, get a copy, register it and send it out? I think there isn't.

So, happy (belated) birthday and happy reading!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (9/22/2010 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Happy birthday to you,my dear birthday buddy! I hope you like my gift :-) Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, September 24, 2010
Wow! What a wonderful package of books arrived today for my birthday! Thank you so much Totje2 for this great wishlist book. I have been longing to read this one for a long time, and now I have it! I can hardly believe it. How did you manage to find it? Thanks also for the other two wishlist books, the lovely birthday card, and the most delicious bar of chocolate which I shared with my chocolate-loving husband! You are the greatest!

Journal Entry 5 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, November 06, 2012
I have no idea really what I should be writing as my review for this book. I liked the beginning and I got interested, but after a while I regretted having started such a large book. I was losing interest one minute and picking it up the next. I would have left this book if I hadn't liked the way this author writes. I enjoyed the way he wrote this, even though I ended up not enjoying the actual story. Most of the time I had no idea where the book was going or why, and when I got to the last 100 pages I decided to read them really slowly in case I could get something more from the story than I had got out of the previous 353 pages, but no....the ending was so disappointing to me and told me nothing. I would like to have known what happened next. a good author with a talent for writing but this story was totally confusing to me. I did, however, really like the main character Smilla, and there was a love story developing in between the pages, but where did it eventually go? No one knows....not even the author, I guess.
I am going to take this book to England with me, the next time I go there, to release in a OBCZ there. It is so large and heavy that I just cannot afford to mail it out to anyone else. I am very glad that I had a chance to read this strange story, and I did take something away with me from the way the author writes and describes things, even if it was just about the smell of home, and other smells that make you feel in a place where you feel safe.
Confused? Then read this book!

Released 8 yrs ago (12/28/2012 UTC) at Somewhere in Essex! in -- somewhere in Essex --, Essex United Kingdom

I will be leaving this book somewhere in Essex. After I have released it I will hopefully be able to write here, and let you know exactly where I left it. It will be before or after 28th December.
If you were the lucky finder, then Congratulations! You have found a travelling book. (Well at least it has travelled home with you!)
Now it is yours to read and keep, or to give to a friend, or to leave in a dry public place for someone else to find. The choice is yours!
Now that I have made you happy, you can make me happy too. Just leave a message here to say that you found the book. Thank you.

If you are reading here, then I want to tell you that this is a. FREE . book, and there are no catches! It is now yours! Please read on.....
If you are the finder of this book it would be nice if you could leave a message here to say that you have it. Do not worry because I don't want the book back. It is yours to keep if you want it. I just want to know it is now in safe hands.

UPDATE
Candy-is-dandy took this home from the Colchester Christmas Party meeting.

Journal Entry 7 by candy-is-dandy at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, December 30, 2012
Found this at the Colchester Christmas meet on 20/12, a couple of days after a Danish friend recommended it as one of her favourite books by a Danish author. Couldn't resist slipping it into my bag and bringing it home. Thanks.

Journal Entry 8 by candy-is-dandy at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 08, 2019
An interesting book with a different perspective. The main character is a social misfit as she is part danish part Greenlander and has sympathies with the underclass of those from Greenland. She gets caught up in the intrigue behind the death of a young boy. Strong links with ice, snow and the cold of a danish winter, and subsequent trip to the arctic.

Journal Entry 9 by candy-is-dandy at Secret Garden OBCZ in Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (5/8/2019 UTC) at Secret Garden OBCZ in Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom

Taking to a bookcrossing lunchtime meet at The Secret Garden Cafe.

Journal Entry 10 by candy-is-dandy at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, May 09, 2019
I still have this book. As it wasn’t picked up at the meeting I brought it home again. I’ll find somewhere else to release it.

Journal Entry 11 by candy-is-dandy at Orygyns in București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (12/17/2019 UTC) at Orygyns in București, Wallachia Romania

Found the Bookcrossing shelf at Orygyns and enjoyed a spiced chai in this friendly coffee shop. This seems to be the place for Bookcrossing in Bucharest. We are visiting from the UK for a few days. Back home today. Salut!

Journal Entry 12 by ULRK at București, Wallachia Romania on Saturday, February 15, 2020
Finally I managed to pass by at Origyns and pick up the book.

Journal Entry 13 by ULRK at A Tent in Vâlsănești - Argeș, Wallachia Romania on Sunday, July 05, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (7/5/2020 UTC) at A Tent in Vâlsănești - Argeș, Wallachia Romania

Dear Finder,

this book was not lost but released to be found and enjoyed.
Please read and then pass it on to the next happy reader.

I would be very grateful if you would leave me a message about the book and how you like it.

Have fun reading.