Parrot and Olivier in America

by Peter Carey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by FreePages of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 9/19/2010
Journal Entry 1 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bought this one for Fleebo's 2010 Booker Challenge. Looking forward to it.
I wonder if it will be the winner and give Carey his 3rd win?!

The cover is slightly different to the one registered.

ETA 31 Oct 2010
Well this one didn't give Carey his 3rd win.
I can see why it was nominated - well researched and well written. I thought Carey really fleshed out the characters of Parrot and Olivier, even if I was very irritated by Olivier most of the time. Such a parady of a French Auristocrate. He provides quite a bit of the humour in the book, if your in the right mood for it.
I can also see why it might not have won - I seemed to really slog through this book, found it ponderous compared with others of Carey's like Jack Maggs and The True History of The Kelly Gang.
Looking forward to seeing what others think.

Bookring Participants
Fleebo
GoodthinkingMax
Jubby
TQD
miss-jo
livrecache

Journal Entry 2 by Fleebo at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 09, 2010
Received by mail from FreePages. Thank you!

Journal Entry 3 by Fleebo at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 09, 2011
This was certainly a very unusual story, and it was pretty entertaining really. I just didn't warm to the characters particularly. And it's good to know that heartless bodgy American real estate deals go right back to the beginning... well, not very good, actually.
On to goodthinkingmax!

Journal Entry 4 by goodthinkingmax at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Received from Fleebo over a delicious breakfast on Sunday. I read a few chapters today and am already enjoying it. I have never really engaged with Peter Carey's writing in the past so was a little surprised to fall into this book so easily.

Journal Entry 5 by jubby at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, September 08, 2011
Oh my goodness.

I don't think Goodthinkingmax or Freepages are going to talk to me after this!

Yes ,I do have the book, and I have been 'reading' it since Easter this year. And worse still, I'm only up to page 320.

And I was rather enjoying it too.

I am so sorry ladies. It was sheer tardiness that got me into this mess...

Now, I know that TQD has her own copy of the book, and I did actually contact Livrecache and ask her if she wanted it next, but didn't get a reply.

So, would you like me to post this book on home to you instead Freepages?

I am ashamed of myself...

Journal Entry 6 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, September 30, 2011

The well traveled Parrot and Olivier have arrived back in Canberra, safe and sound.
Thanks to everyone who participated and thanks to Jubby for sending them home.
I hope everyone got something worthwhile from the read :)
It's inspired me to look into Alexis de Tocqueville's life a little more, must have been very eccentric to inspire the Olivier character.
I'll have a look at petercareybooks.com for the bibliography. I don't agree with Carey in his Acknowledgements that a bibliography is "as useful to a reader of a novel as a hammer is to a dolphin", even if that is a humorous image :)