By the Grace of the Sea : A Woman's Solo Odyssey Around the World

by Pat Henry | Travel |
Registered by tranq1 of Tampa, Florida USA on 9/16/2010
Journal Entry 1 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Thursday, September 16, 2010
Parts of the book were fascination and parts were dull. But I guess that is true of my sailing experiences also.

Journal Entry 2 by tranq1 at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 16, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/16/2010 UTC) at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting in the Travel Narrative Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Spokane, Washington USA on Sunday, October 31, 2010
This book arrived home in my travel narrative bookbox and is going my tbr pile.

Journal Entry 4 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Friday, July 07, 2017
I just couldn't get my head around this one. I love books about trips down rivers but for some reason, sailing books just don't do it for me. I gave this one a serious effort but in the end, I just didn't finish it. Will be moving it along soon, as I've had it long enough, probably in my next travel narrative bookbox.

Released 1 yr ago (5/22/2018 UTC) at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sent out in the 2018 thegoaliegirl's travel narrative bookbox to start the box off!

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 04, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Travel Narrative bookbox.

Later: I admit I like my travel narratives with either more humor or more disaster - but I don't think it's fair to complain that Henry didn't go through enough stress and trauma in her globe-circling sail; she had plenty of problems, even if her trouble wasn't at the level of, say, Shackleton and the "Endurance" {wry grin}. And I did appreciate some of the nitty-gritty details, not least being the drawings of the boat, showing just how small a vehicle she had to spend all that time in... But I didn't find her writing style as lively as that of some other narratives I've enjoyed, so I did do some skimming.

I was less interested in the find-support-and-sponsors aspect of the trip, though that's clearly a major part of the challenge. [Come to think of it, most of the "golden age" explorers had to do a lot of fund-raising themselves - and I tended to skim over those bits too!] And the fretting-about-family-relationships bits... yeah, I could have done without those. I was happiest with the actual sailing sequences, whether in open ocean or along fascinating shores...

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Red's Eats in Wiscasset, Maine USA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/19/2018 UTC) at Red's Eats in Wiscasset, Maine USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench at or near Red's Eats, while stopping by for their fabulous lobster roll; hope the finder enjoys the book!

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 8 by DanceMeSilly at Wiscasset, Maine USA on Sunday, July 08, 2018
Found at Red's Eats while getting a fabulous lobster roll on my honeymoon.