Mango Elephants in the Sun

by Susana Herrera | Travel |
Registered by tranq1 of Tampa, Florida USA on 9/16/2010
Journal Entry 1 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Thursday, September 16, 2010
A great book about the authors experience in the Peace Corps. When I was young I wanted to join. After reading this book and a couple of others about Peace Corps experiences I am glad I didn't.

Journal Entry 2 by tranq1 at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 16, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/16/2010 UTC) at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting in the Travel Narrative Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Spokane, Washington USA on Sunday, October 31, 2010
Book arrived home in my travel narrative bookbox. This one has been on my wishlist for awhile, so I'm thilled that it was in there!

Journal Entry 4 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Saturday, January 23, 2016
I finally got around to reading this one recently. I'm slowly making my way through my TBR pile. Some I've had for far too long and they've gone on 2 out of state moves with me.

I really enjoyed this book. It was really interesting and definitely made me glad I wasn't in the peace corps! Thanks for sending this my way several years ago in a bookbox!

Released 2 yrs ago (1/5/2017 UTC) at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

off in my latest travel narrative bookbox!

Journal Entry 6 by freezone at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, May 21, 2017
Wow. I've heard wonderful and terrible things about people's Peace Corps experiences. seeing these reviews makes me curious. Made a brief stop at my home in Massachusetts, then will pass along.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, June 28, 2017
I've read this a few years back, and I enjoy this book very much. I do however feel that, while the author claims she is not a rich American, she did at times act that very way. Like making a trip to the big city and spending half her monthly salary on ingredients for ice cream (though she did have joy sharing it with the local children), or hiring three motorcycles to transport her toilet papers.

Anyway, I need books for a memoir bookbox, so I am taking this out, as I know this is a good one, and also because Goalie has read this already and the box is almost at the end of the round. Hopefully I've switched this out with something new to her.

I've been debating the whole night whether to eat some ice cream for late night snack, seeing this book and remembering its chapter on ice cream... I guess it's a sign from above...

Journal Entry 8 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, July 21, 2017
Taking from the replacement Many Memoirs bookbox. Thank you for allowing this box to continue, Azuki!

Journal Entry 9 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, March 15, 2018
I enjoyed this often cringe-worthy (termites – heat – latrines – amoebic dysentery - malaria…) account of Herrera’s Peace Corps assignment. It takes a special kind of person to survive two years in the deserts of North Cameroon as a volunteer. Herrera’s focus in the narrative is on her development as a person and her relationship with the villagers, which made for a satisfying read.

I also liked how the lizard poetically tells us about Susana from his point of view, especially divulging some things that Susana doesn’t feel comfortable telling us directly. Susana is herself interesting, being part Hispanic and part Native American, as she has suffered some discrimination in her life and can, therefore, identify with how the locals view white people (they consider her as such, though she doesn’t fully identify with being “white” - all things are relative, I guess).

It’s not always an easy read, but a worthwhile one.

Journal Entry 10 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, March 15, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/15/2018 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Another book I found on my shelf that's on your wishlist.
Feel free to release unread if you're feeling overwhelmed... :-)

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.
Released for 2018 Wine+Food Release Challenge hosted by GoryDetails.
Released for 2018 4 Elements Challenge hosted by Firegirl.

Journal Entry 11 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, April 19, 2018
To dip a toe is grand

and pointless waste of time,
you must go head first.