The Elegant Gathering of White Snows

by Kris Radish | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by crissyreader of Yaak, Montana USA on 9/12/2010
Journal Entry 1 by crissyreader from Yaak, Montana USA on Sunday, September 12, 2010
Given to me by a friend.

Journal Entry 2 by crissyreader at Bloomington, Indiana USA on Tuesday, September 28, 2010
An interesting book about a group of women who decided just to chuck it all and go on a kind of walkabout in the heartland of the US. I think this is probably every woman's fantasy at some point in her life. A good read.

I'm sending this book from Indiana to the 2011 BC convention in Washington, DC. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Thursday, April 21, 2011
Picked up from the Book Buffet at the 2011 Bookcrossing Convention.

v

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, May 15, 2011
Didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. The story is great, and the characters well drawn, but I kept feeling a bit too preached to, which distracted me too much from enjoying it. I get the feeling the author was deeply involved in the inception of the feminist movement in the 70s - there's nothing wrong with that (so were some of my favourite women when I was growing up, and if only I was a few years older I would have joined them), but a lot of the preachy moments in this book sounded like she'd like to go back to that time, with its ideas of women's (sorry, "wimmin"'s ;-)) spiritual energy and of lesbianism as a political choice (I'd say most of my lesbian acquaintances would deny there is any element of *choice* about their sexual preferences!).

Maybe I just couldn't relate to the central theme because, thanks to the work of those women I looked up to as a girl, I have a life I don't feel the need to run away from, because I have the economic and social freedom to do whatever I want (like drive across America on a whim :-)) any time I like. Or maybe I just couldn't relate to the media fuss over their walk, because NZ is a less car-oriented society (even though we probably have as many cars per head of population as the USA) so a bunch of women walking along a country road wouldn't be a very surprising sight.

Which is not to say I disliked the book - as I said above, it was a great story, and I liked the characters. I just didn't like it as much as I'd hoped.

v

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, May 29, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (5/29/2011 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to Rarsberry at today's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 7 by rarsberry at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, June 05, 2011
Picked up at the last lunchtime meetup.

Journal Entry 8 by rarsberry at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, October 02, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (10/2/2011 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Put on the table at todays meetup.

Journal Entry 9 by Otakuu at Temuka, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, October 03, 2011
After a slow start, I really enjoyed this book. There were many aspects of my own life or the lives of my mother's generation that I recognised amongst the characters. In many ways the book speaks to the pleasure to be found in quiet moments and special friendships as well as the loneliness of unresolved grief and pain. Although fiction, I found some answers to my own questions from those long ago days.

Journal Entry 10 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 27, 2014
I don't seem to have caught this book even though I have had it for ages. I was fairly sure that FutureCat had given it to me when we went to Dublin.I enjoyed the book and finished it last night reading by torchlight as we had no power yet again. I do tend to agree with FutureCat's entry especially about walking not being such a big deal. But then I have been travelling for 5 years and joke that I am of no fixed abode.

Journal Entry 11 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (7/30/2014 UTC) at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Was given to my client's new carer. I am not expecting the book to be caught.