corner corner TOOTH & NAIL: An Inspector Rebus Novel #3

TOOTH & NAIL: An Inspector Rebus Novel #3
by Ian Rankin | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 9/11/2010

status (set by booklady331): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, September 11, 2010

rureading, who participates in the Canada Day challenge that I host each year, sent me a package with this book and another Ian Rankin mystery. I've had these books on my wish list for a while because Ian Rankin has retired John Rebus, the curmudgeonly police inspector with the Edinburgh Police Force. Since there were no other Rebus books to look forward to (Rankin continues to write and his books are great but I really liked Rebus)I decided to start reading all the back list. But these books are hard to get so I was really thrilled to get two as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, December 31, 2017

This is Book #3 in the Rebus series. I started reading this series with The Falls which is Book #13 so I've been trying to read all the back list as well as catching up with Ian Rankin's pretty prolific output. This one takes Inspector Rebus out of his familiar Edinburgh and into London on the trail of a serial killer. Rankin says that he wrote it when he was living in London, a city that he didn't like, and that feeling comes through in this book.

John Rebus has been requested to help the London police (The Met) in their investigations into a serial killer who has been nicknamed The Wolfman because after killing the person he takes a bite out of their stomach. DI George Flight is the chief investigator and it was actually he who asked for Rebus to join the team. The two are polar opposites in how they investigate a case and that sometimes puts them into conflict. Rebus is able to also see his ex-wife and daughter who are living in London. On a visit to their flat he is introduced to his daughter's current beau. Subsequently he discovers that this young man is connected to a crime family which concerns Rebus. However, he is a little distracted by his own love life. Lisa Frazer, a Canadian psychologist working in London, offered her services to profile the killer. Rebus was persuaded that this might help the investigation and it didn't hurt that Lisa was extremely attractive. Late night discussions end up in bed but Lisa is helpful. Rebus is starting to get an idea of who the killer might be but in the meantime the killer is striking more often. Rebus finally connects the dots but Lisa may be the next victim unless Rebus stops him.

As always, a great mystery and some insight into Rebus's character.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, February 08, 2018

I have offered this book in bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller VBB so I will reserve it for now.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, June 08, 2018

Put in the mail yesterday for booklady331 in Florida. This is a release for the Allergic to A release challenge provided the challenge host accepts that the title is an ampersand and not the word "and".

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, June 16, 2018

Thank you for sharing the book with me. I decided I wanted to try some new authors and this is one. I am glad that these are the earlier works. Hope I enjoy him. Thanks for the note and bookmark.