The Glass Castle: A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 074324754x Global Overview for this book
Registered by powaybabe of Poway, California USA on 9/10/2010
Journal Entry 1 by powaybabe from Poway, California USA on Friday, September 10, 2010
This is a memoir of resilience in the face of mental illness. It tells of the childhood of Jeannette Walls, her brother and sisters, and dysfunctional parents. It is truly an astonishing story, I highly recommend it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, October 29, 2010
I got this book back from powaybabe. I actually read it first, but didn't get around to journalling it. It's an amazing story, I found it difficult to put the book down. Jeannette Walls deserves a lot of credit for telling this story at all, and so much more for making it highly readable. I think many people are unaware of the plight of so many children in America, the poverty and starvation. This was a compelling account of her real life experiences, growing up with two free-spirited and very self-absorbed parents and how she and her siblings coped.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, October 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/29/2010 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

This book is off by mail to surprise dove-i-libri in Fort Myers. Enjoy!!

For future readers: If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Dove-i-Libri at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, November 04, 2010
Wow! This is so great! Thank you so much! Holiday Gift Giving (AND RECEIVING) is so much fun. I wish I could have participated more this year, but next year is already looking up for us! Thank you so much green eyed beauty! With such a BIG TBR mountain, it might be a while before I get to it. I'll be sure to make a journal entry, though, and then share the book! Thanks again!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A little bit about this book from www.borders.com ... (Link)

The Glass Castle is a remarkable memoir of resilience and redemption, and a revelatory look into a family at once deeply dysfunctional and uniquely vibrant. When sober, Jeannette's brilliant and charismatic father captured his children's imagination, teaching them physics, geology, and how to embrace life fearlessly. But when he drank, he was dishonest and destructive. Her mother was a free spirit who abhorred the idea of domesticity and didn't want the responsibility of raising a family.She called herself an "excitement addict." Cooking a meal that would be consumed in fifteen minutes had no appeal when she could make a painting that might last forever.

Later, when the money ran out, or the romance of the wandering life faded, the Walls retreated to the dismal West Virginia mining town that Rex Walls had done everything he could to escape. He drank. He stole the grocery money and disappeared for days. As the dysfunction of the family escalated, Jeannette and her brother and sisters had to fend for themselves, supporting one another as they weathered their parents' betrayals and, finally, found the resources and will to leave home.

What is so astonishing about Jeannette Walls is not just that she had the guts and tenacity and intelligence to get out, but that she describes her parents with such deep affection and generosity. Hers is a story of triumph against all odds, but also a tender, moving tale of unconditional love in a family that despite its profound flaws gave her the fiery determination to carve out a successful life on her own terms.

March 3, 2011: On the short list to be read and shared via RABCK soon!

March 27, 2011: Offered as part of our newest "BROWSE OUR SHORT LIST RABCK" Offer, Part 8 ... (Link)

April 3, 2011: Reserved for fellow BookCrosser "iwillrejoice."

Journal Entry 5 by Dove-i-Libri at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 20, 2011
April 19, 2011: Started this book today, and am already angry at these parents for what they have (or, or more precisely, have NOT) done for these children. Were they both really mentally ill, or just selfish and dysfunctional? Only by reading the rest of the book will I find out ...

April 27, 2011: Wow, these kids really made it on their own, I guess ... I'm thinking I would like to read the author's book about her grandmother called "Half Broken Horses." One thing is true. Her grandmother was right about her father. Snicker. Will be sending this book off to "iwillrejoice."

Journal Entry 6 by Dove-i-Libri at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, May 08, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/8/2011 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

☺ Uh-oh, can't remember when this was sent! ☺ Going off to IwillRejoice ☺ Happy Traveling, Book! ☺

Journal Entry 7 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Thanks - RABCK med

Received in today's mail as a RABCK from Dove-i-Libri. Thank you! I've been wanting to read this one for a while now.

P.S. Cool stamps, too!

Journal Entry 8 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018
Oh, those parents were so awful... Horrible. So selfish. I'm mad at them!

Journal Entry 9 by wingiwillrejoicewing at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 06, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (1/7/2019 UTC) at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 10 by Meekachu07 at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Selected from the "G" books. I recently watched the movie and liked it. I won't be reading this one, but will look to find a new home for it.

Journal Entry 11 by Meekachu07 at Great Falls, Montana USA on Saturday, January 19, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (1/19/2019 UTC) at Great Falls, Montana USA

Shipping to Great Falls, MT via BookMooch.com. Enjoy!