The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel

by Diane Setterfield | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCJL-230711wing on 9/6/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingCJL-230711wing on Monday, September 06, 2010
This was on the sale shelf at the library, and although my daughter and I have both read it I bought it anyway, thinking that a friend of mine and her daughter might enjoy it.

From my book notes:

This was a novel for book lovers, abounding with references to old classics – Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Turn of the Screw. The story gripped me from the first page when Margaret Lea returns to her father’s antiquarian bookshop to find a letter from the famous and reclusive author Vida Winter. Miss Winter has decided it is time to tell the truth about her life and wants Margaret to write her biography. Margaret travels up to Yorkshire and what follows is a gothic tale with orphans, twins, a mad uncle, mistaken identity, disappearances, and a cast that includes the requisite governess, a housekeeper, a gardener, and even a doctor who prescribes Sherlock Holmes.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/24/2010 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Passed on to my friend B for her and her daughter to read and decide where it goes next.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/24/2010 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada