One True Thing

by Anna Quindlen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingmeganhwing of Preston, Victoria Australia on 8/31/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, August 31, 2010
I purchased this book from a local Op Shop and it's nicely covered with contact. I accidently downloaded pre-numbered labels and am trying one out on this book.

Edited March 2013 - just discovered the story of this book is set in Langhorne, a town in Pennsylvania very near to where I lived in Levittown in the 1970's.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmeganhwing at Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Wow, I have just finished this heart wrenching story! I haven't read a book which has moved me so much to tears for a long time.
The story was told with so much compassion and honesty that it could have been a story about any of our lives given the right conditions.
Ellen was a very bright first-born child who constantly sought her father's approval and very much took her mother for granted until she was persuaded to take time out from her career and her exciting life in New York to come home and care for her dying mother Kate.
The story was of Ellen and Kate getting to know each other at last and Ellen recognising the warm and wise qualities of her mother and the remoteness and failings of her once adored father. The author brought many issues into the book including the complications of filial and marital relationships, ambition, euthenasia, gossip, friendship, love and betrayal.
A very moving and honest account.
I had not heard of Anna Quindlen before, but will seek out more of her writing now.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmeganhwing at Unconvention 2013 in Queenstown, Otago New Zealand on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (10/19/2013 UTC) at Unconvention 2013 in Queenstown, Otago New Zealand

To the finder of this book -
Lucky You! You have found a travelling book.
If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to browse through the site as there is plenty to discover in this free and anonymous community.
The idea is to connect people through books and I assure you, it can be fun.

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, October 20, 2013
Picked up at Sunday Brunch at the Queenstown Bookcrossing Unconvention.

v

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, June 01, 2014
Definitely worth reading - a gripping story, with characters you can really believe in.

v

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (7/15/2014 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to a fellow Toastmaster after a speech on Bookcrossing I gave at a Cathedral City Toastmasters meeting.

Happy bookcrossing!