The Rapture of Canaan

by Sheri Reynolds | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by weeblet of Jacksonville, Florida USA on 7/18/2003
Journal Entry 1 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Friday, July 18, 2003
from Amazon:

Members of the Church of Fire and Brimstone and God's Almighty Baptizing Wind spend their days and nights serving the Lord and waiting for the Rapture--that moment just before the Second Coming of Christ when the saved will be lifted bodily to heaven and the damned will be left behind to face the thousand years of tribulation on earth. The tribulation, according to Grandpa Herman, founder of Fire and Brimstone, will be an ugly time: "He said that we'd run out of food. That big bugs would chase us around and sting us with their tails . . . He said we'd turn on the faucet in the bathroom and find only blood running out . . . He said evil multitudes would come unto us and cut off our limbs, and that we wouldn't die . . . And then he'd say, 'But you don't have to be left behind. You can go straight to Heaven with all of God's special children if you'll only open your hearts to Jesus . . .'"
Such talk of damnation weighs heavy on the mind of Ninah Huff, the 15-year-old narrator of Sheri Reynolds's second novel, The Rapture of Canaan. To distract her from sinful thoughts about her prayer partner James, Ninah puts pecan shells in her shoes and nettles in her bed. But concentrating on the Passion of Jesus cannot, in the end, deter Ninah and James from their passion for each other, and the consequences prove both tragic and transforming for the entire community.

The Rapture of Canaan is a book about miracles, and in writing it, Reynolds has performed something of a miracle herself. Although the church's beliefs and practices may seem extreme (sleeping in an open grave, mortifying the flesh with barbed wire), its members are complex and profoundly sympathetic as they wrestle with the contradictions of Fire and Brimstone's theology, the temptations of the outside world, and the frailties of the human heart.

Journal Entry 2 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Monday, July 21, 2003
Releasing to softdrink ... hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by OSO-189982 on Wednesday, July 30, 2003
Received in yesterday's mail...thanks weeblet!

Journal Entry 4 by OSO-189982 on Sunday, September 14, 2003
Let me start off by saying I avoid religion. So there were parts of this book that were both baffling and horrifying to me. Despite that, I loved the book. I thought it was beautifully written and it just sucked me right in (I read it all last night...I certainly wasn't expecting it to be so engrossing).
Thanks again, weeblet, for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 5 by kafka from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Thursday, October 30, 2003
just received as part of the BookRelay...thanks!