The edible woman

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Fiellu of Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on 8/30/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Fiellu from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Monday, August 30, 2010
"Marian is determinedly ordinary. She likes her work, her broody flat-mate and sober fiancé Peter. But she reckons without an inne self that wants something more. Marriage à la mode, Marian discovers, is somethig she literally can't stomach..."

This was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I haven't read this in years and when I saw it in a charity shop I just had to pick it up. I want to see if I like it as much as I used to.

Journal Entry 2 by Fiellu at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, October 01, 2010
I still liked this book a lot, but it wasn't as amazing as I remembered. It also funny how one puts new emphasis on a book when reading it again years after the first time. A good read and Atwood is still one of my favorites.

Journal Entry 3 by Fiellu at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, October 01, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/1/2010 UTC) at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom

Left this at the bookshelf in the first floor of the pub. Hopefully it will find new enthusiastic readers.

Journal Entry 4 by smallbluepebble at Ilford, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 12, 2010
I chose this book from the groaning shelves of the Camel and Artichoke. I last read The Edible Woman back in the eighties, when Margaret Attwood was a real favourite of mine, so it'll be interesting to revisit this classic.

Journal Entry 5 by smallbluepebble at Ilford, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 18, 2011
I enjoyed re-reading this book, but was surprised to find that I had forgotten the plot completely. One vivid scene remained in my mind, but everything else had vanished. It was more like finding a new Margaret Atwood than revisiting an old one :-)
The characters were brilliantly drawn and I probably felt more empathy for the women twenty years after I first "met" them. It's interesting that the book didn't feel too dated... and that some of the women in Marian's workplace were all too recognisable.

Released 9 yrs ago (4/12/2011 UTC) at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom

This classic will be heading back to the Camel & Artichoke tomorrow evening...

Journal Entry 7 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Took this book with me because I've really enjoyed other books by Atwood.

P.s. Don't you just love it when you pick up a book and it turns out it has allready come from another country!

Released 8 yrs ago (7/1/2011 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

You have been tagged!

Journal Entry 9 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 05, 2011
Thank you so much for this...I first discovered Atwood with The Handmaid's Tale, and have been tracking down her back catalogue for a while. Looking forward to reading it. This Wishlist Tag Game is so cool...can't wait to play again.

Journal Entry 10 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 20, 2020
I usually love Atwood's books, but this one left me a bit cold. The writing, as ever, is fantastic, but I found that none of the characters were particularly likable. I can't say that I was rooting for any of them and, by the end, actually couldn't of cared less whether Marion sorted out her issues or not.

Duncan was the only one that I thought had any interest - mainly because he was so weird and was quite happy living in a half fantasy world that completely revolved around him. Ainsley I really didn't like - I couldn't take living with someone like that, especially when the whole 'baby' plotline develops.

So, an ok read, but not an Atwood that I would read again.

Journal Entry 11 by dark-draco at Birthday RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (2/4/2020 UTC) at Birthday RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

This book has been released as part of the Oppem’s International Birthday RABCK Group 2020. I hope you like your goodies and have a brilliant day.

Journal Entry 12 by C_ at Krakow, Małopolskie Poland on Saturday, February 29, 2020
Thank you for helping me grow my Atwood collection! I’m impressed by how far the book traveled already :)