Photographing Fairies

by Steve Szilagyi | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Brookhavn of West Linn, Oregon USA on 7/17/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Brookhavn from West Linn, Oregon USA on Thursday, July 17, 2003
This book looks at fairies in an entirely fresh way...who knew the debauchery and the magical ingredient it took to view them? A hapless photographer lucks onto photos of fairies and enters a spiral of escalating events while trying to prove their validity. An interesting read, and rather unexpectedly dark and twisted. Just my cup of tea!

Released on Thursday, July 17, 2003 at Willamette Coffee House on 8th next to Mcdonalds in West Linn, Oregon USA.

releasing to CrazyPooka at the coffee shop today!

Journal Entry 3 by CrazyPooka from Portland, Oregon USA on Thursday, July 17, 2003
Books have a way of making their ways back into your life....picking this book up from Brookhavn today I remembered that I checked this out from the library about ten years ago---but never read it! Now I will, and I'm sure I will have a greater appreciation for it...being older and a somewhat wiser reader.

BTW, I saw a movie called "Photographing Fairies" earlier in the year. Reading the back of this book it seems the stories are different. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and there are indeed one and the same. Anyway, I higly recommend the movie...it has themes of loss, Ben Kingsley does a chilling performance of a preacher, and there's even a little suggestion of acid-like drug use (but I could have read too much into that! lol)

Thanks Brookhavn!

Journal Entry 4 by CrazyPooka from Portland, Oregon USA on Thursday, July 31, 2003
I love the wide margins...so easy to fly through this book. I should be finished tomorrow, having started it last night. (My first two weeks at a new school, distracted me from bookcrossing...I havn't even been able to join any new rings! heheh)

The movie and the book are generally the same story. Expect the film lumps many elements together, and cuts out even more. I am happy to be reading the more comprehensive and compelling version of the tale.

A character asks our first-person narrator, Castle, do you want a fairy-tale or a murder mystery....oooh. It's getting good. Will be turning this into a BOOKRING.

Journal Entry 5 by CrazyPooka from Portland, Oregon USA on Friday, August 01, 2003
CrazyPooka here: Finished this one last night. Whoa, that ending! You gotta love Linda, even if Mr. Castle, at time, disapoints the "Miss Manners" im me. My question is, how much of this fairy stuff is real? Or are we along for some sort of ride? You tell me....

It's now a bookring ! I'm hosting...and it will include a snazzy list to help you keep track of the book's progress, reader club-like questions to help you spawn some journal entires. (Because "This was an interesting book." doesn't make for an interest journal entry--IMO. :)

1. Mysteryfan03
10. 16stepper
11. Geologygirl
12. senorag
13. Booksnbeer <--- Added after the ring started

.....back to me for an Oregon meet-up or crossing zone release.....Thanks! and Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 6 by CrazyPooka from Portland, Oregon USA on Sunday, August 10, 2003
CrazyPooka here: These are included with the book, but I thought I would post them here too...You don't have to answer them all, or any for that matter, but they are designed to spur your creativity, and spawn truly interesting journal entries…here they are…Questions for the readers of Photographing Fairies

Notice the chapter titles, they all begin with “How I…” and follow with what Castle has done or who he’s met. If you used this trick for a table of contents of your own life, what would the titles be?

We begin the book knowing Castle has killed someone; does this knowledge make you more judgmental of all his actions, even the minor social ones?

What sympathy did you feel for the characters? The policeman, the Reverend, the girls? If not sympathy, what else did you feel?

Have you ever seen something that “wasn’t there”? If so, what was it, how did you feel, and did you tell anyone?

You’ve finished the book. Now, do you believe in this fairy story or is this a ploy of Castle’s to explain his actions to us, like he did with the jury?

Would you partake of something questionable, but organic, to enter another realm of reality?
Have you seen the movie? What you do think of its take on Szilagyi’s story? (It cuts many characters, and changes Castle’s back-story.)

Do you believe in fairies?

Journal Entry 7 by CrazyPooka at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Portland, Oregon USA on Sunday, August 10, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in Portland, Oregon USA.

Hi there! This is a bookring, being sent off to Mysterfan03 in Mo. (I hope you get a kick out of the envelope!)

Journal Entry 8 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Friday, August 15, 2003
I recieved this book in the mail today. The envelope was FANTASTIC!! So cool!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to recycle it to send on when the time comes. It begs to be shared and continue on...
I am anxious to read this book. I have 2 and a half in front of it, but I read fast! I will journal when I get finished. THanks for the chance to read it and for the wonderful envelope!!!!!!!!!! It made my day.

Journal Entry 9 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Saturday, August 23, 2003
I finished this book today. It was a fast read, but I had LOTS of trouble trying to get into it. The writing style was boring. It seemed that the How I... chapter headings were written by a person who has no imagination. I work with kids and can see this type of heading done by a child. For the first 2-4 pages of each chapter, the writer talked excessively about totally unrelated scenes or descriptions. This annoyed me and I almost stopped reading at about page 100.

I didnt figure that Castle had killed anyone as I knew that there was some story, or maybe he had accidently killed someone. I didnt feel sympathy for anyone, except maybe Esmirelda who is used by men for sex and has always been a servant. (however, things do work out for her) I thought the characters were not well written, This might have made a good movie if done right. The ending was just weird, as if the writer wanted to end things all of a sudden and not the way that we thought.

Keeping in mind that the story is fiction, I think that Castle did believe in the fairies, even tho he and others used a drug/herb? to see them.

It just wasnt my cup of tea. One redeeming thing.... I had not understood the reference in "A Monstrous Regiment of Women" ( part of Sherlock Holmes and Russell series) when Holmes was angry that Sir Author Conan Doyle was publishing papers about photographing fairies....
I hope that the next person enjoys this. I appreciate the opportunity to read this. I will probably pass this on in the next week or so....

Journal Entry 10 by PamelaJane from Forest Grove, Oregon USA on Wednesday, September 10, 2003
mailed to me in a bookring. I think the cover is pretty. Will read as very next book (after I finish DaVinci Code).

Journal Entry 11 by PamelaJane from Forest Grove, Oregon USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2003
"How I..." I'm sure Castle's initial self-question was "How did I get in this predicament?" and so the chapters all starting with "How I..." seems so very appropriate. I often follow that particular thread of thought when wondering where I would be if things had been different in my life...even one tiny little thing being different could have resulted in a major different outcome. I liked the chapter titles. They were unpretentious and revealed the various key elements which lead Castle to his ultimate demise.

Being told in the beginning that Castle killed someone could have cast him in a negative light, however, during the opening pages we get a glimpse of his mild manner in dealing with Constable Walsmear. How could a person of this mildness actually kill someone? Could there be mitigating factors? I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm afraid I felt nothing for the characters. They seemed so obviously contrived to me.

Yes, I have seen things that aren't there. But then again, if I saw them then they were there, weren't they? Oh well, they were real to me.... heheh. Did I tell someone? Yes.

I choose to ignore the other questions for now.

I liked the ending a lot! Real creative and poetically just.

Journal Entry 12 by PamelaJane at US mail in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings --, Illinois USA on Friday, September 26, 2003
Released on Friday, September 26, 2003 at US mail in Mailed to a fellow bookcrosser, Illinois USA.

Sent in a bookring in original envelope with artistic nuances.

Journal Entry 13 by xicyx from Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois USA on Friday, October 03, 2003
Received in the mail yesterday..such pretty decorating!

Journal Entry 14 by Tamster33 from San Francisco, California USA on Thursday, November 13, 2003
I received in the mail today. Still has the beautiful packaging. I'll read as soon as I can and pass it on. Will write more after I've read it. Thanks :)