Dust

by Elizabeth Bear | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 055359107x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Tribefan of Wake Forest, North Carolina USA on 8/22/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Tribefan from Wake Forest, North Carolina USA on Sunday, August 22, 2010
On a broken ship orbiting a doomed sun, dwellers have grown complacent with their aging metal world. But when a serving girl frees a captive noblewoman, the old order is about to change....

Ariane, Princess of the House of Rule, was known to be fiercely cold-blooded. But severing an angel’s wings on the battlefield—even after she had surrendered—proved her completely without honor. Captive, the angel Perceval waits for Ariane not only to finish her off—but to devour her very memories and mind. Surely her gruesome death will cause war between the houses—exactly as Ariane desires. But Ariane’s plan may yet be opposed, for Perceval at once recognizes the young servant charged with her care.

Rien is the lost child: her sister. Soon they will escape, hoping to stop the impending war and save both their houses. But it is a perilous journey through the crumbling hulk of a dying ship, and they do not pass unnoticed. Because at the hub of their turning world waits Jacob Dust, all that remains of God, following the vapor wisp of the angel. And he knows they will meet very soon.

Journal Entry 2 by Tribefan at BookObsessed.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 10, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (9/10/2010 UTC) at BookObsessed.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy the books!

Journal Entry 3 by krin511 at Olney, Maryland USA on Monday, September 20, 2010
Arrived today - thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by krin511 at Olney, Maryland USA on Sunday, January 03, 2016
I enjoyed this book about space travel, artificial intelligence and finding one's destiny. Bear weaves a detailed world with rich characters and plenty of adventure.

Journal Entry 5 by krin511 at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 03, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (1/3/2016 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

To give away at the BookCrossing holiday party.

********************************

Welcome to BookCrossing!

If you pass it on to someone or leave it "in the wild" for someone else to find, please make another journal entry or release notes here to explain that it's traveling to find another home.

You can remain anonymous on the website or join BookCrossing. Joining is free, safe, and spam-free and you'll get an e-mail every time a new person finds this book and logs in on the site to say so. You'll be able to watch it move around and find out where it's been and what other readers thought of it.

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Monday, January 04, 2016
I selected this based on the first line. Not my normal type of book, but I will at least make the attempt to broaden my horizons.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 11, 2017
People who read a lot of science fiction or fantasy or both tend to get really irritated by the fact that the two genres are so frequently lumped together. I don't know if that means those people should not read this book or if they would appreciate it more than I did. Fantasy elements here include a serving girl in a castle, a necromancer, a basilisk, angels and demons. All of which are weird constructs of a fragmented society living in a decrepit generation ship semi-adrift in space near a binary star system that is about to rupture. The angels are actually computer programs, the demons semi-sentient parts of the ship, and the characters are all home to synbiotic nanite colonies.

I was puzzled when I started this book and I kept hoping things would be explained. In the end, I have a vague understanding of how the framework of this fictional world was formed (religious fanatcism of some sort). But not enough to make me want to pursue additional stories in the series. I did like the characters of Rien and Perceval as well as Tristen and Gavin. Not sure that I would recommend it to anyone. My favorite moment in the whole book was when I finished reading it and could put it down

Journal Entry 8 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 12, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (2/12/2017 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA

This book is going to meet-up today.

Journal Entry 9 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, February 12, 2017
Caught at today's BCinDC meet-up at La Madeleine in Alexandria, Virginia. Thank you!

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenge:

*** The March 2017 Four Elements Challenge hosted by Firegirl. This book has the word DUST in the title.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 11 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, August 13, 2017
Caught!

Thank you for returning this book to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720). I'll be passing it along to a fellow BookCrosser who has this novel on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 12 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (12/10/2017 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I am releasing this book at the annual BookCrossing Holiday Party at the home of authorauthor. This book is a RABCK for Spatial who has had it wishlisted since

--------------------------------------------------

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenges:

***The 2017 D for December Release Challenge hosted by hyphen8.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 13 by wingSpatialwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 11, 2017
A Wishlist book given to me at the BCinDC Christmas Party.
Thank you, SqueakyChu!

Journal Entry 14 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 13, 2018
Bear does indeed weave an interesting tale! I quite enjoyed this take on the generation ship trope and look forward to getting my hands on the next book in the series!

Journal Entry 15 by wingSpatialwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (4/10/2018 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Selected to travel with the Round IV Otherworldly Bookbox.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Congratulations! You've found a traveling book!
See where I've been and track where I go by creating an account and writing a journal entry for this book.
Wish to remain anonymous? Then no need to create an account, just write a journal entry letting us know where you found the book and review it if you like.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Journal Entry 16 by BooksnBeer at Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 19, 2018
Interesting - I selected this from the Otherworldly bookbox.