ANGELS AND INSECTS

by A.S. Byatt | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 8/17/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 17, 2010
I bought this from a charity shop in Fort William while on holiday in Scotland last September. Although I haven't read it so can't say what I think, I'm registering it now when it's more or less at the top of my To Be Read piles!
It appears to be two short novellas, entitled: Morpho Eugenia and The Conjugial Angel.
A S Byatt's Possession counts as one of my Top Favourite novels and I thoroughly enjoyed her short stories, The Matisse Collection (comments here), so I'm looking forward to experiencing Angels & Insects as well.

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Morpho Eugenia
I felt this first novella took me back into Possession territory: Victorian Gothic, fairy tales/fables, secret relationships, heavily atmospheric .... plus I now know more than enough about ants and other insects to last me a lifetime! As ever, her writing style is beautiful!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 26, 2010
The Conjugial Angels
I don't know what to write about this second novella as my feelings are rather mixed; in fact, I seem to have reacted differently to it each time I picked it up. Her use of language is as beautiful as ever - but I'm not sure I always followed what the poetic words were trying to tell me and I didn't relate to the frequently-quoted poetry at all! The oppressive Victorian atmosphere is once again depicted very effectively. Their obsession with death and the after-life, seances and spiritualism, the rigidity of their mourning rites, the high mortality rate among babies, children and young people, continuing love for the dead ... these all feature strongly among its themes. I rather liked the conclusion, so my final impression was a positive one, I think!

Released 8 yrs ago (10/2/2010 UTC) at 2010 Swindon Unconvention, Jury's Inn Hotel in Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom

To be made available at the Unconvention and/or wild released on the release walk!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGhaneschawing at Gmunden, Oberösterreich Austria on Monday, October 04, 2010
this angels flying in my bag for my cristmas calender...
I like this author , I read some books from him in german

Engel Adventskalender 2010 Angel Advent Calendar2010

Traveling to Munich on the end of this week

Hello! Bookcrossing is a online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are curious to see how far and wide it will travel and how its readers like it. Kindly make a journal entry to let us know it's found a new reader.

Feel free to read and keep this book, pass it on to a friend, leave it back on the shelf or somewhere else for the next reader. If you journal this book as a member, then you will hear from the book as it travels around. Happy reading!

Liebe Finderin, lieber Finder,
Gratulation, dass Du dieses Buch gefunden hast! Ich hoffe, es gefällt Dir. Du hast nicht nur ein Buch, sondern eine ganze Gemeinschaft von Leserinnen und Lesern gefunden, die Bücher lieben. Schau Dir die Seite mal an! Ich würde mich sehr freuen, wenn Du Dir die Zeit nimmst, einen Journal-Eintrag zu machen und mich so wissen zu lassen, wo das Buch gerade ist und was Du damit vor hast. Vielleicht willst Du Bookcrossing ja beitreten? Das ist anonym, kostenlos und macht Spaß!

Journal Entry 7 by wingInawing at München, Bayern Germany on Friday, December 10, 2010
It arrived today. Thank you very much, also for the Gummibärchen. I have already read Possession by the same author and liked it very much. Now I am very curious about this one.

Journal Entry 8 by wingInawing at München, Bayern Germany on Friday, September 05, 2014
Gelesen im Rahmen der Bergabbau-Challenge im September 2014 - Thema: Streichelzoo

I like the 19th century and I'm very interested in social insects, mainly ants. So far, the first novella, Morpho Eugenia, seems to be written especially for me. But - unfortunately, it did not wholly convince me. I needed a very long time, to get into the athmosphere and into the story. What I liked, were the philosophical questions, also the passages about the ants. And I admire, how much time for recherche about Victorian scientists the author must have spent to get the style of the scientific publication plausible.
My opinion to The Conjugial Angel is even more difficult to form. There were passages, I really liked, mainly the chapters VII and VIII, where Emily Jesse is considering her role. These chapters remember me on "Wenn du geredet hättest, Desdemona", in their taking the female point of view of a historic episode usually told in the male view. I also think. that the Victorian athmosphere fits really well in the rest of the novella, but for my taste, there were too much ghosts and angels.

Journal Entry 9 by wingInawing at München, Bayern Germany on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (11/15/2014 UTC) at München, Bayern Germany

Reist nun als 7. Adventskalendertürchen weiter

Journal Entry 10 by Mary-T at Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, December 07, 2014
I've found this in the 7th door of the Advent Calendar and was quite confused if this would be something I would like to read - but now I've read more about it on the back of the book and the previous JE's and I'm quite more confused about the content, but curious to read it. ;) I don't really know what this could be about it, honestly... but it might be interesting though. So, I will definitely try it out! :)

Thanks for this interesting treat and Merry X-Mas!