Grave Sight (Gollancz S.F.)

by Charlaine Harris | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by acme54 of Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on 8/12/2010
Journal Entry 1 by acme54 from Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 12, 2010
Lightning bolt zapped paranormal investigator

Journal Entry 2 by acme54 at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 14, 2010
Even with reading the series in the wrong order, I really like the characters. Quick read.

Journal Entry 3 by acme54 at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 21, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/21/2010 UTC) at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

Easy to read.
Easy to pass on.
Just leave it somewhere for someone when you are done.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbelmontcafewing at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, October 22, 2010
OBCZ Oct 10...thanks for the book acme54

Journal Entry 5 by wingbelmontcafewing at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, January 21, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/21/2011 UTC) at Belmont Cinema Cafe in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

picked up

Journal Entry 6 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 27, 2011
Apologies –oops I forgot- for my delayed Journal Entry noting this was caught on Thursday the 30 of December 2010 at the BookCrossing meet-up at the Belmont Cinema café. Lovely to see folk and thanks as ever for the hospitality.

Read this years ago but do so enjoy Harris’s Stookie Stackhouse series I though I would remind myself how this series went too.

Journal Entry 7 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 29, 2011
BOOK COVER: Harper Connolly is honest, ethical and loyal – and ever since a blot of lightening zapped her oh the head, she’s had an extra-special talent: she can find dead people. It’s not a common-or-garden job. Some people find Harper’s talent useful and fascinating, but she’s getting used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. She’s become an expert at getting in, getting paid and getting out, fast.

When Harper and her stepbrother Tolliver, travel to the Ozarks to find a local teenager, missing, believed dead, they discover that someone is willing to go to great lengths to bury a secret.

Before long Tolliver’s locked away on trumped-up charges and Harper’s fighting for her own life…

‘The suspense is dark and the paranormal elements creepy in this highly original tale. Paranormal mystery at its best!’ ROMANTIC TIMES
‘Harper has a gift for deft description, entertaining characters and interactions, and convincing plotting’ ANALOG
-----------------------------------------------------

Reading this was fun. I read Grave Sight when it was first published and on re-reading it I felt as if I saw different aspects of the character interaction that I hadn’t fully appreciated when I raced through it initially. Charlaine Harris’s main characters are engagingly shot though with courage, determination and loyalty while burdened with some stimulating flaws and as extraordinary ability that is as demanding of their energy as it is dangerous. All character traits that engender conflict when circumstances force contrary characters into their path. This gives us Harper, sadly isolated as the creepiness of her skill alienates strangers and the job keeps her on the move so strangers are all she comes into contact with, apart thankfully from her stepbrother, Tolliver that is.

Usually I enjoy Harris’s humour and its evident here though this Harper Connolly story doesn’t seem to glow with the quantity of moments of warm compassion that characterise Harris’s, Stookie Stackhouse series, Harper’s feistiness, fortitude and courage make a very favourable impression. Grave Sight is a detailed, involving and perhaps over complicated plot but it was suspenseful and gripping and I plan hunting out more of this series.

Actually I’ll now look forward now to re-reading the next in series, Grave Surprise (2006) which now I’ve re-read Grave Sight (2005) and enjoyed it so much seems like fun before I track down An Ice Cold Grave (2007) and Grave Secret (2009).

I’ll mark this as reserved as I have another reader in mind for this.

Journal Entry 8 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/29/2011 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

I am popping this into a book package for my partner Vespa in celebration of the UK BookCrossing, Yahoo Groups Not So Secret EASTER BUNNY Surprise 2011.

I see Vespa that Grave Sight is not on your wishlist but I hope never the less that it catches your attention favourably given your bookshelf seems to suggest you enjoy paranormal fiction books. So, I am planning by Wednesday 31 March 11, getting this into the post via a Post Office somewhere in Edinburgh, once the making of my Easter Bunny Bookmarks is done and the Easter and postal wrappings are complete!

Journal Entry 9 by Vespa at Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, April 24, 2011
thank you for this book, it looks interesting. I love the individual book marks too. Added to Mt TBR