Homicide:

by David Simon | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by annadvarna on 8/4/2010
Journal Entry 1 by annadvarna on Wednesday, August 04, 2010
This is the compelling account of the first ever writer/reporter who gained unlimited access to a homicide unit. This is the book that later became the basis for the now famous TV series.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, October 07, 2010
"Homicide", by one of this year's MacArthur fellows, is a fascinating read. Simon does not flinch and describes with equal detail violent crime scenes, inner city decay, homicide dept. psychology and the various failings of the bureaucratic and political machines, among others. At the same time he scrutinizes the few people that make up the few people that make up the homicide unit of the most violent city in the United States. He plumbs their souls' depths and comes up with precious few pearls: the fear, the boredom, the exhaustion, the tenacity.
Also, if you liked CSI:Anywhere, prepare to reevaluate. Forensics simply don't work that way. I learnt, for example, that usable fingerprints are lifted only on 10% of murder crime scenes. And not because the luminaries that perpetrated the murders had enough brain to wear gloves.
The only fault I can find is his tendency to portray homicide detectives as crusading warriors who never err, only get tired, while at the same he describes the methods they use to extract a confession: intimidation, deception and outright lies. In Simon's opinion, innocent people never go to jail because so few of the guilty ones end up there (40%).
Two words: circumstantial evidence.
That said, I can't really know since I haven't been part of a homicide team for one year, as Simon has, or been part of the United States judicial system. However, I have been a part of a School of Psychology for four years. Given that memory is a fleeting and artificial thing, how can such a system be absolved of errors? And if everyone lies, as Simon tells us time and again, how can you ever be sure?

Journal Entry 3 by travellinglight at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, October 16, 2010

The anonymous finder above is a friend of mine. Not wanting to release it in the wild, he passed the book on to me, urging me to read it too. I am not exactly sure I want to – at 646 pages, it’s kind of intimidating. We’ll see. (Anna, I haven’t managed to send you the photo just yet; I hope I will be able to do so next week. Sorry.)