Never the Bride (copy 2)

by Paul Magrs | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LyzzyBee of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 8/1/2010
Journal Entry 1 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 01, 2010
Kindly donated to BookCrossing by the publisher, Headline.

From the publisher's website:

Brenda has had a long and eventful life, and she has come to Whitby to run a B&B and enjoy some peace and quiet. She and her best friend Effie like nothing better than going out for tea and keeping their eyes open for mysterious goings on in town.

And what with satanic beauty salons, roving psychic investigators and the frankly terrifying owner of the Christmas Hotel there's plenty to watch. But the oddest thing in Whitby may well be Brenda herself. With her terrible scars, her strange lack of a surname and the fact that she takes two different shoe sizes, Brenda should know that people as, well, unique as she is just aren't destined for a quiet life.

My review:

Brenda has retired to Whitby to run a B&B. She likes an outing to Cod Almighty for fish and chips with her pensioner friend Effie, and they both like to keep their beady eyes on anything... strange that's going on in town. And strange there certainly is, from a Christmas themed-hotel with peculiar cocoa, to a beauty salon that turns back time a little *too* far, and a mysterious but very well groomed gentleman going by the name of Mr Alucard, who has updated himself somewhat since the old days.

Even Brenda and Effie have their mysteries, Brenda's in her own past, and Effie's in her family's, and we're soon on the rampage through Whitby's finest oddities as they investigate, nose and cause havoc. With a plot that's divided into long episodes, a cast of amusing and brilliantly-created characters, and writing that brings to mind the deadpan northern one-liners of old Corrie episodes, Jane Gardam, or dare I say it, Alan Bennett.

An excellent read - in fact a re-read as I have picked up the second Brenda & Effie story and wanted to reacquaint myself with their doings.

This is what I thought of it the first time:

Bought 11 Aug 2007 (Bookends) - reviewed 06 Dec 2007
An excellent novel set in Whitby, where strange goings-on in a rejuvenation centre and a Christmas themed hotel are investigated by a couple of rather strange pensioners. A bit camp, with in-jokes about classic horror literature and a galloping plot, I really enjoyed this and couldn't put it down.

Journal Entry 2 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 01, 2010
BOOK SPIRAL

Please try to ...

* journal the book when it arrives
* read it within a month
* ask for the next person's address promptly
* do release notes or a new journal entry when you send it on
Please let me know if you have any problems!

PARTICIPANTS
Cross-Patch UK (anywhere)
Samrana UK (UK)
Disneyfreaksam UK (anywhere)
LiniP Germany (EU)
Tsjara Netherlands (EU) <---- it's here!

BOOKRAY FINISHED! Thanks everyone for taking part!

Journal Entry 3 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 01, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (8/1/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Passed to katisha50 today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, August 19, 2010
Received today thanks.
Can't wait to get stuck into this. It looks intriguing and just the sort of book I normally love.

Journal Entry 5 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, August 21, 2010
Firstly I absolutely love the cover. If I'd seen this in a bookshop I'd have bought it on the strength of the cover art alone. It's perfect.
The book itself is witty, tongue-in-cheek and nicely gothic. There are some wonderful classics mixed into it. We start off with a bit of Mary Shelley, move on to H. G. Wells and then some Sweeney Todd and of course Bram Stoker. This is Whitby, after all. Then the modern - you have some Most Haunted, a nod to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and a hint of Twin Peaks. Just to mix it up a bit.
I loved it. Can't wait for the next installment.

I've already PMd Amethystlady64 so will post the book off asap.

Thanks for starting the ray Liz, and please pass on my thanks to Headline.

Journal Entry 6 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 22, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (8/22/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted to Amethystlady64.

Journal Entry 7 by Amethystlady64 at Hastings, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Received with thanks! Looks like a really good read!

Journal Entry 8 by wingKatisha50wing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, August 27, 2010
Sorry, I'm coming into this thread in the wrong place! I did a JE to say what I thought of the book before passing it on, but it seems to have suffered from the BC site gremlins (or my computer).

I wanted to say that, although goth/vampire are definitely not my thing, I really enjoyed this book. I love elderly ladies, and the writing style was engaging (can't quite remember in what way, or give examples, but maybe I can expand on that when I read the next one).

A minus point for me is that I felt it read like a series of loosely-linked short stories, and I am not a fan of the short story, but maybe that was the point. Was it that each "story" had echoes of a different writer, as Caroley has listed?

Anyway, I look forward to the next one.

Journal Entry 9 by Amethystlady64 at Hastings, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, September 19, 2010
A comic, Gothic novel that centres around two characters, Brenda and Effie.
I found the book highly delightful and the plot lines very novel.

Journal Entry 10 by Amethystlady64 at Hastings, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, October 07, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (10/7/2010 UTC) at Hastings, East Sussex United Kingdom

On it's way to Peamartian!

Journal Entry 11 by PeaMartian at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Received with thanks! I just sat down to read the cover when it arrived yesterday, and ended up reading the first 20 pages or so. The book I was already reading (Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis) has been shunted off the top of the pile, and I may never finish it given how hard going I am/was finding it, and what a pleasure it has been just starting my first introduction to Brenda and Effie. I'm also considering whether I can fit in a trip to Whitby any time soon...

ETA: Well, I found this to be a quick, easy and enjoyable read. Exactly the relaxing reading I wanted. I still haven't made it back to Whitby, but hopefully sometime this year I'll get the chance. I never did finish Lucky Jim - too much like hard work!

Looking forward to reading the next in the series...

Journal Entry 12 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 06, 2011
Thank you PeaMartian for getting Effie here (Aisles left here sometime between Christmas and the New Year, but our post has been dreadful of late) and LizzyBee for making it available.

Journal Entry 13 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, January 21, 2011
What a treat. I enjoyed all the silly comings and goings and am looking forward to the next. Thank you LizzyBee for bringing it to my attention.

Released 10 yrs ago (1/21/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next in the list. I hope you enjoy it too.

Journal Entry 15 by Samrana at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Received today thanks :-)

Journal Entry 16 by Samrana at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 02, 2011
Once I had adjusted to the alternate world of Brenda and Effie, I warmed to the characters and embraced the silliness with enthusiasm. Thoroughly predictable in parts, but somehow this adds to the charm.

Have sent PM to next reader.

Journal Entry 17 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 06, 2011
Thank you very much. I received this yesterday. I will get onto it straight away and get it travelling again.

xx

Journal Entry 18 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 08, 2011
Good fun read, if a bit predictable. I will get it sent off to the next person on Friday.

Journal Entry 19 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 11, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (2/11/2011 UTC) at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Enjoy

xx

Journal Entry 20 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, February 20, 2011
The book arrived on Friday. Will be read as my next book.

Edit: 23.2.2011: It was a nice little story after I got into the strangeness of the characters. Let´s see what the other books have in store for us. Thanks for the ring.

Journal Entry 21 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (2/23/2011 UTC) at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany

This book is off to the Netherlands. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 22 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 05, 2011
Arrived here safely yesterday. Thanks LiniP! Sounds like a fun read :) I do have a couple of other bookrings and rays here (they always arrive around the same time.. :S), but will try to get to it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing LyzzyBee!

Journal Entry 23 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 19, 2011
Hello everyone!

I've got 2 copies of the 5th book, The Bride That Time Forgot, one is a large paperback and heavier, one is a smaller one. Can you all pls PM me or email me to tell me which you're happy to read and post on? The big one needs to come back to me at the end...

Thanks!

Liz / LyzzyBee

Journal Entry 24 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 29, 2011
This was a nice, quick read, fun and a bit strange (in a good way). It was a bit obvious sometimes.. the references to other stories, but that didn't make it less enjoyable (perhaps adding to the charm? :p). Like Katisha said, for me it too felt as if you are reading a collection of short stories (or maybe more like episodes of a tv-series). And then ending with a cliffhanger like that.. of course I'm very curious to find out what will happen next :)

Update July 9th 2011: Got it back from my friend who borrowed it, she enjoyed it as well ^_^ So now I'm going to look for some new readers in the bookring forum..
Update July 19th: No takers in the bookring forum.. will send it out as a rabck.

Journal Entry 25 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (9/28/2011 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Sent this as a RABCK to my B-day buddy in Canada.

Happy Birthday!
Thought you might like a fun (sort of) gothic read :)

Journal Entry 26 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Rec'd it last week as book 1 of 2 (package got in on my b-day, picked it up 2 days later at the post office and journaling the book today...) from my b-day buddy.

yep, you guessed right, I do like a bit of Gothic reading here and there :))

Journal Entry 27 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Sunday, January 01, 2012
Finally journaling this book again... read it in November but was so busy that I'm only journaling it now!

From the resume on the back cover, it looks like a book like the others. But, the more you read it, the more fun it is and not like the others. It’s a fun, gothic story that makes you want to read more. The main character is quite lovable and I truly enjoy the book. The writing is easy to follow and does the trick to get you into the story. I’m definitely reading the other books in the series!

Thanks Tsjara for sending it for my birthday!

Now, it's available for either a bookray or a rabck... we'll see!

Journal Entry 28 by carelaisa at INTL Sweepstakes, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (1/31/2012 UTC) at INTL Sweepstakes, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the winner of the January edition of the INTL sweepstake.

Hope the book will be liked :)

Journal Entry 29 by pam99 at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2012
Look forward to reading this well-travelled book, thank you!

Journal Entry 30 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 12, 2012
A very witty and funny book, about the mysterious goings-on in Whitby. I've not been to Whitby itself but I did have a holiday in Robin Hood's Bay as a teenager, and I can quite believe it!

Journal Entry 31 by pam99 at Islay House Square in Isle of Islay, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (4/12/2012 UTC) at Islay House Square in Isle of Islay, Scotland United Kingdom

assuming it doesn't start raining, I'm going to release this book at Islay House Square on my way to pick up my folks from the ferry. Hopefully it will be 'caught' and the finder will enjoy it!