The Cement Garden

by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 033025975x Global Overview for this book
Registered by garibaldisghost of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 7/29/2010
Journal Entry 1 by garibaldisghost from Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 29, 2010
Shocking, morbid and full of repellent imagery.

Released 10 yrs ago (2/23/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its belated way Down Under to a fellow '1,001er'

Journal Entry 3 by dolphin-au at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Arrived safely. My experiences with McEwan's books Vary a lot. Some I loved, and some I really struggle with. Looks like this might be one of the last category?
Thanks garibaldisghost.

Journal Entry 4 by dolphin-au at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Friday, March 16, 2012
Indeed not an easy book. At some level it is quite intriguing, the threat to the kids to be split up is easily understandable, as are the practical problems the kids face. I think it is a reasonably accurate picture of what kids would think in a situation like that, but I doubt many would act on thoughts like that.

Journal Entry 5 by dolphin-au at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia

Sent to crimson-tide in the company of a couple of other 1001 books

Journal Entry 6 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Arrived as one of a number of lovely "1001 book" RABCKs.
Thanks heaps, dolphin-au.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, December 03, 2019
Finally hit the top of the pile.

McEwan's debut novel. He has so many books on the 1001 list, I really have no idea why this one was included. It was interesting in a macabre way in terms of the family setting and the events that transpired, but glad it was short and glad it's done with.
Disturbing and bleak.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (12/11/2019 UTC) at Balingup, Western Australia Australia

Companion book on a trip to New Zealand.

Journal Entry 9 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, December 24, 2019
A welcome hitchhiker with my Wishlist tag book thank you I am a McEwan fan, he is usually very good.

I did not read this but downsizing due to pending shift. To be released at tonight's bookcrossing meetup

Journal Entry 11 by fee19 at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, September 03, 2020
Caught at the Wellington Bookcrossing Meetup at the Duke of Wellington pub on 3/9/20.

Journal Entry 12 by fee19 at Paraparaumu, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, February 07, 2021
Well written horror. I see why Ian McEwan was called Ian Macabre after his first two novels. Not easy to like any of the characters or the plot. I’m glad I read Atonement, On Chesil Beach and The Children Act before this or I might have written him off too early.

Journal Entry 13 by fee19 at Paraparaumu Train Station in Paraparaumu, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (2/10/2021 UTC) at Paraparaumu Train Station in Paraparaumu, Wellington Province New Zealand

Left on the shelf next to the Ticket Office.

Journal Entry 14 by fee19 at Paraparaumu Train Station in Paraparaumu, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Left on the shelf next to the Ticket Office.