A Place Called Here

by Cecelia Ahern | Women's Fiction |
Registered by loriped of Keizer, Oregon USA on 7/27/2010
Journal Entry 1 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Since Sandy Shortt's childhood schoolmate disappeared twenty years ago, Sandy has been obsessed with missing things. Finding becomes her goal - whether it's the odd sock that vanished in the washing machine, the car keys she misplaced in her rush to get to work or the graver issue of finding the people who vanish from their lives. Sandy dedicates her life to finding these missing people, offering devastated families a flicker of hope. Jack Ruttle is one of those desperate people. It's been a year since his brother, Donal vanished into thin air and the sleepless nights and frantic days aren't getting any easier. Thinking Sandy Shortt could well be the answer to his prayers, he embarks on a quest to find her. But, when Sandy goes missing too, her search ends when she stumbles upon the place - and people - she's been looking for all of her life. A world away from her loved ones and the home she ran from for so long, Sandy soon resorts to her old habit again, searching. Though this time, she is desperately trying to find her way home!

Journal Entry 2 by loriped at Keizer, Oregon USA on Saturday, October 23, 2010
Adding to the I've Been Everywhere Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, October 31, 2010
I took this from Svoight's I've Been Everywhere Bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, January 03, 2011
Sandy Shortt, an obsessive/compulsive young woman from suburban Ireland, is always looking for those things that go missing: socks, notebooks, stuffed animals, toothbrushes, pens, keys, the girl across the street who disappeared as a 10 year old when she rode her bike down the street and was never seen again. Every one looks for the missing girl and worries about Sandy who can't seem to stop searching for things. Sandy grows up and opens a Missing Person's Agency. A man is missing his brother and makes an appt. to see Sandy about it, but before they can meet up Sandy herself goes missing. At this point the book takes off into a very bizarre sphere. We basically end up in OZ and as you might guess there is no place like home.
There is some good resolution that takes place in the book, but one of the most unresolved things is the relationship Sandy has with her therapist/lover and the underlying conflict that isn't spoken but is seen between solving an unbalanced personality with standard types of therapy or solving it by letting the person follow their path until they solve it themselves. I thought there was quite a bit of underlying hostility towards psychiatrists in these pages. Honestly I thought it would be Jack and Sandy sitting in a tree... I mean Gloria was asleep in every scene and Gregory was a boring fuddy dud making people sit in little rooms and talk about their problems! Also, the non-resolution, the "letting the lost stay lost" is kind of a bitter pill to swallow at the end. A fantasy that doesn't let us fantasize enough.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/12/2011 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Re-released into the ABC Bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Friday, January 14, 2011
taken out of the ABC bookbox

Journal Entry 7 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Thursday, September 27, 2018
The novel started a little slow for me - by about the middle of the book I was completely sucked in.

Jack found closure with Donal and Sandy can now accept where missing things and people end up. Overall it was an enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 8 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Monday, June 03, 2019
Received from Aberpeter. Thank you.