Gentlemen of the West

by Agnes Owens | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by garibaldisghost of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 7/27/2010
Journal Entry 1 by garibaldisghost from Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 27, 2010
"Who would work on a building site, the worst trade in the world in the winter?" So says Mac a young man who has a talent for 'laying the brick'. Mac is mostly pre-occupied with gaining entrance to the convivial atmosphere within the Paxton Arms, the main stumbling block being the 50p entrance fee.

We follow his story as he comes across many treacherous, vicious and kindly folk, these true gentlemen of the west, who are all out to supplement their broo money, so as to have 'enough tae drink, that's the main thing'.

An unusal and anarchic tale set in a depressed lowland Scottish town sometime in the 1970s or 80s.

Journal Entry 2 by garibaldisghost at on Saturday, July 31, 2010
A short tale set somewhere in the west of Scotland in the 1980's. At times amusing and touching.

Journal Entry 3 by garibaldisghost at BCUK extra, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, November 08, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/4/2010 UTC) at BCUK extra, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its belated way to a fellow BCUK EXtra member who won this in the O bookswap

Journal Entry 4 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 07, 2010
Thank you, gari. Interesting, very interesting!

Journal Entry 5 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 04, 2018
Wow, what an interesting book. Ready to share.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCross-patchwing at Flutterbies9 Random BookBox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 06, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (12/6/2018 UTC) at Flutterbies9 Random BookBox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting into Flutterbies9 Random BookBox.

Journal Entry 7 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 05, 2019
This is one of the books which has been received by me when the Random bookbox returned home.

As this says it is set in Scotland I am very tempted to give it a try so on to tbr for now.

Journal Entry 8 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, March 31, 2019
Well this ended up with two readers in this house! I was very surprised one day when Mr Flutterbies9 announced that he had read this book in one afternoon.... I don't think I've ever known him to do that before!

Anyway, I read this and found that it was a quick read which unusually could be easily read by either sex - and that is unusual in most books. This is very much of its time (70s or 80s indeed) and is very tailored to its setting in the Glasgow regions of Scotland though thankfully the regional dialect has been dropped so that even my English husband could understand it.

I did not find this in the slightest bit funny (sorry everyone who did), more a sad reflection of the times and society that bred that type of young male who himself was a product of the times. Even more sadly, I did come across many of these when I was growing up and was never anxious to be in their company for overlong with their very restricted harsh view of males and ever harsher view of the female sex, so can unfortunately only confirm that these people did exist around then and I suspect some still hang on yet.

No firm plans for this book so will make it available for now.

Journal Entry 9 by Flutterbies9 at Book Walk, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, April 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (4/15/2019 UTC) at Book Walk, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Released to rainbow3 for a book walk.

Journal Entry 10 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 18, 2019
Many thanks Flutterbies9 this arrived in Edinburgh a few minutes ago one of a five strong book parcel from a sister BookCrosser which travelled here for a book release walk planned for INTERNATIONAL BOOKCROSSING DAY 2019 – Sunday 21st April!!!

Released 4 wks ago (4/21/2019 UTC) at -- Wild Released somewhere in Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

GENTLEMEN OF THE WEST by AGNES OWENS is to be left somewhere ‘in-the-wild’ in Edinburgh on Sunday 21st April which is INTERNATIONAL BOOKCROSSING DAY 2019. You might have found this book beside an outdoor sculpture; on a window sill; at a bus-stop or perhaps you as a happy reader were handed this directly while you were in Central Edinburgh!!! One of a five strong book parcel from a sister BookCrosser which travelled here to be given away on a book release walk - :-)
---------------------

Hello book finder, if you aren't familiar with the BookCrossing world of TRAVELLING books – WELCOME!

Feel free to keep this book it is yours to do with as you wish, read it, or pass it on to keep it travelling. You can leave notes anonymously or if you journal this book as a member, you will hear from the book on its travels. If you do join quoting the name of the Flutterbies9 as your referrer would make her day. Thank you and HAPPY READING!