Leading Ladies American Trailblazers

Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 7/26/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, July 26, 2010
432 pages; read by author; abridgment approved by author

If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, January 16, 2011
enjoyable listen -- skillfully drawn biographical portraits of women pioneers in military, journalism, public health, social reform, science, and politics.

Released 9 yrs ago (1/22/2011 UTC) at bookbox (Cape Coral) in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, Florida USA

Enjoy! off in round 5 of my CD only bookbox

Journal Entry 4 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 08, 2011
I might be keeping this one.

Journal Entry 5 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Sunday, November 27, 2011
Started listening today.

Journal Entry 6 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Sunday, December 04, 2011
Finished today.

It was really interesting to learn more about some of the most famous women in American history, like Jackie Kennedy. I mean, I knew the general life story about her - married Jack, married Onassis, edited books for years and years, wore great clothes, so on and so forth. But I didn't know that she was so active in art/historical conservation, and that is something that I truly respect in a leader! (i'm an art history major, so that can't be much of a surprise!) It's absolutely wonderful that she changed the White House from little more than rented rooms for the President to a museum of Presidential residences.

I was also quite interested to hear about Lady Bird Johnson, since I didn't know anything about her, but I was disappointed that Hutchison skipped right over Hillary Clinton. I mean, you want to talk about an influential First Lady and I feel like Hillary would be right up there - certainly the perception at the time was that she was a very domineering woman, especially over po' Bill.

She wrote about a lot of different women from a variety of backgrounds, including Rosa Parks and Jane Addams. It was extremely interesting. I thought the politics section ran a bit long - little surprise, I suppose, given that Hutchison is a politician - compared to the other sections, and it was skewed towards Republican women. From what I've heard of the actual unabridged book, there are more biographies and Hillary Clinton is included. But as I listened to this, I couldn't help but wonder if the political women were being cherry-picked to appeal to a conservative base. I mean, Laura Bush? Sorry, she's a lovely woman and all but she didn't seem that interesting. But I guess that' s mighty cynical of me, eh?

Anyway, this was a nice little history lesson to listen to on my morning commute!

Journal Entry 7 by wingk00kaburrawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/21/2012 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I am adding this book to booklady331's Audio Bookbox!

Journal Entry 8 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, May 01, 2012
Took this out of Booklady331's CD Only Audio Bookbox. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, April 20, 2015
I found this audiobook very interesting. I really enjoyed learning about the history and accomplishments of all these influential American woman. Thanks very much for sharing booklady331. I will make sure this continues on its journey.

Journal Entry 10 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, May 23, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (5/23/2015 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Sending this CD set off to Moody-Blue who picked it off of iwillrejoice's Audio VBB list. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, May 31, 2015
Looks great, thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, September 22, 2015
My ratings are based solely on my enjoyment of a book and I'm afraid this one fell way short. The subject seemed to have potential, but the result was just eye-crossingly boring. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless they are doing a report on one of the ladies in question -- and even then, I'm not sure this book contains anything you can't find faster on Wikipedia.

Journal Entry 13 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, January 14, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (1/14/2016 UTC) at Meers, Oklahoma USA

One of my contributions to Big John Lefty's Other AudioBookBox, round 1

Journal Entry 14 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Saturday, June 11, 2016
taking out of BigJohnLefty's Other Audio Bookbox