corner corner The Best Australian Science Fiction

The Best Australian Science Fiction
by Rob Gerrand (Editor) | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by winggoldenwattlewing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 7/25/2010

status (set by AnonymousFinder): available

Journal Entry 1 by winggoldenwattlewing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, July 25, 2010

ABOUT THE BOOK:
The best science fiction flies far beyond the boundaries of outer space in this collection of top Australian science fiction from the past fifty years. Stories include: * a cautionary tale of greed and diamonds by Jack Dann * what it means to be civilized by A. Bertram Chandler * proof that manned flight was invented in the Middle Ages Other contributors include: Peter Carey, Greg Egan, Pip Maddern, Norma Hemming, George Tuner, Jack Wodhams, David Lake, Erle Cox, Lucy Sussex,Randal Flynn, John Baxter, Frank Bryning and many more.

Photograph: Shine Dome - Australian Academy of Science, with in foreground Delorean car (Back to the Future) belonging to author Matthew Reilly, and Darth Vader (Star Wars). I left the book here.

Journal Entry 2 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, August 07, 2010

Well I finished this thick book, although I didn't finish a few individual stories. I had hoped that The Best Australian Science Fiction of fifty years would have been better. I found the more recent stories more readable. The earlier stories were dingy, for want of a better word. I hadn't read science fiction for some years and reading the earlier stories brought the dingy atmosphere back to me. Why did the writers of the 1950s and 60s see science fiction this way? The later stories have moved on from this stereotype and are better for that. My favourite was the last story in the collection, "Tower of Wings" by Sean McMullen.

Photograph: Shine Dome - Australian Academy of Science, with the SF character, Solar Flare.

Journal Entry 3 by winggoldenwattlewing at Shine Dome- Australian Academy of Science in Acton, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, August 14, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (8/14/2010 UTC) at Shine Dome- Australian Academy of Science in Acton, Australian Capital Territory Australia

It is Science Week. The daleks have landed.
The book was picked up while I was there, but I missed seeing who caught it. Perhaps it was Darth Vader, K9, Dr Who, Solar Flare. I saw them all there. Or maybe it was beamed up.

Australian Academy of Science

To the finder, enjoy, and I hope you will write a journal entry so that previous readers will know that this book has been found (even anonymously). It is always a joy to find where it has gone. Once you've read this book, pass it on to a friend, or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did.
You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining please consider using Goldenwattle as your referrer.
When you pass this book along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it. Thank you.

Photograph: Inside the Shine Dome - Australian Academy of Science, with daleks.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, April 18, 2011

Although it has been a long time since this book has been out in the wild it is now once again free!
Being the first time I really put my head into some science fiction I would say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I must confess that some stories I did skip over but others totally enthralled me.
I'm not very good at writing reviews but to anyone who collects this book they will be in for a great collection of Australian Science Fiction. Fanciful tales that take you back into the medieval times and journeys into parallel future eons away are just the beginning.
Thank you for this experience, I will be keeping my eyes open for more ‘BookCrossing’ books lying in wait in future.