corner corner Saving Fish From Drowning

Saving Fish From Drowning
by Amy Tan | Audiobooks
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on 7/22/2010

status (set by Tsjara): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Unabridged audiobook, 15 CDs, read by Amy Tan

"Amy Tan (Chinese: 譚恩美; pinyin: Tán Enmei) (born February 19, 1952) is an American writer of Chinese descent whose works explore mother-daughter relationships. In 1993, Tan's adaptation of her most popular fiction work, The Joy Luck Club, became a commercially successful film.
Tan has written several other books, including The Kitchen God's Wife, The Hundred Secret Senses, and The Bonesetter's Daughter, and a collection of non-fiction essays entitled The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings. Her most recent book, Saving Fish From Drowning, explores the tribulations experienced by a group of people who disappear while on an art expedition in the jungles of Burma.
...
The book opens with an article from the San Francisco Chronicle, stating that eleven tourists, including four men, five women, and two children have mysteriously vanished in Burma, after sailing away on a cruise on Christmas morning.
From then on, the story is told through the omniscient first person narrative of Bibi Chen, the tour leader who unexpectedly dies before the trip takes place and who continues to watch over her friends as they journey towards their fate.
The novel explores the relationships, insecurities and hidden strengths of the tourists, set against the uneasy political situation in Burma." (Wikipedia)
***********
I find it hard to explain how I liked this novel. I was glad it wasn’t another mother-daughter story, Amy Tan has really explored that territory.
The tale of the group of US-Americans was the part I didn’t enjoy, I didn’t like the gossipy tone and the spoilt, ignorant and complacent characters. But there are good descriptions of each person, I could easily imagine them (even though there is too much information about their lives).
Often the story gets close to a comedy with mosquito nets catching fire and people having difficulties recognizing public restrooms. There are some really hilarious moments.
The real story about the reclusive Karen tribe gets pushed aside by the rambling prattle about the Americans. I wish she had concentrated more on it, on “The Lord of the Nats”, and the tribe’s members, the cultural clashes. The background about the human rights situation in Burma and the military dictatorship is well-researched and one doesn’t that often find that kind of thing in a contemporary novel.
There is some really good story-telling, but with too many unimportant anecdotes and themes – at least for my taste.
I don't think the author herself is a good choice to read this. Needs some getting used to.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Audiobook, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/25/2012 UTC) at Audiobook, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases

Audiobook Sweepstake!

Journal Entry 3 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I'm sure I have read some Amy Tan in the past so this may be interesting.

Journal Entry 4 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Not sure what happened but I got a bit lost in this story so it made little sense to me.

Journal Entry 5 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 22, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (8/19/2015 UTC) at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom

Heading off to the Netherlands as a RABCK

Journal Entry 6 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 30, 2015

Arrived here safely yesterday. Thanks so much for the RABCK smurphie! I have started to listen more to audiobooks lately (it took some getting used to at first because my mind tends to wander off), and this sounds like an interesting story. Looking forward to try it. :D
(Hi ApoloniaX *waves*)

Journal Entry 7 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 13, 2017

This took me quite a while to finish. Some parts I liked, but thought it mostly too long and rambling. I really had to get used to the author's voice as well.