Pomegranate Soup: A Novel

by Marsha Mehran | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ababaigalit of Modi'in, Israel Israel on 7/21/2010
Journal Entry 1 by ababaigalit from Modi'in, Israel Israel on Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Beautiful strangers bring exotic recipes to town in Mehran's foodie-lit debut. The Irish hamlet of Ballinacroagh is the unlikely new home for three Iranian sisters and their new Babylon Cafe. Twenty-seven-year-old Marjan, the most skilled in the kitchen; Bahar, the tentative middle sister; and Layla, the charming teenager, fled the Iranian revolution and, after some years in London, have arrived determined to succeed. Initially wary natives soon fall under the spell of the cafe's cardamom- and rosewater-scented wonders, with kindly Estelle Delmonico (the stereotyped Italian widow who formerly owned the storefront) and friendly Father Mahoney leading the pack. But town bully Thomas McGuire, who loathes "feckin' foreigners," and gossip Dervla Quigley, who thinks "they're all sluts," will do anything to drive the sisters away. As Marjan cements alliances through her recipes and Layla falls in love with McGuire's son, Bahar continues to be troubled by the violence in her past. Can the provincial Irish welcome the "foreigners"? Will the sisters triumph? But of course! Mehran's mauve prose gets especially purple sometimes (Layla feels love "like the ecstatic cries of a pomegranate as it realized the knife's thrust"), but fans of Chocolat and other cooking-overcomes-cultural-differences stories will savor the tale, not to mention the 13 recipes, including one for pomegranate soup.

26.07.2010:
---------------
A delight! This book is redolent, full of sensory experiences, and yet it's as ethereal as spirit, too. What I love about this book, absolute love about it, is that it's sensory descriptions are so soulful, and it's spiritual elements are so earthy!!
While at times the prose is a bit flowery, I was pleasantly surprised! the author giving the foods magical qualities. The Iranian history was nicely woven into the story with a bit of drama, but no self-pity. I found the descriptions of the food, spices, and relishes to be perfectly accurate (I've been cooking Persian food for years.)

Pomegranate Soup was a pleasure to read! I'm happy to see more and more Persian authors publishing their post-revolution experiences with humor, grace and quite good storytelling.

Journal Entry 2 by ababaigalit at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/27/2010 UTC) at Hermiston, Oregon USA

Enjoy the book for Foodie RABCK challange

Journal Entry 3 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Saturday, August 07, 2010
Whow, what can I say - I went to the post this lunchtime & your amazing package was waiting for me.... not one book but 4!!!... You have put me to shame with my small offering.
Anyway, this book is one of the 4 & I will look forward to reading it and then sending it on another journey...Thanks so very much.

Journal Entry 4 by wingoppemwing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 23, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/24/2011 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Sending this 'tagged wishlist' book your way - hope you enjoy the read.
I never got around to reading this one as my tbr. pile just kept getting higher & higher...
Am glad to be able to send it onto someone who had it on their wishlist... Enjoy.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 30, 2011
Thank you so much, oppem, for this wishlist book and for the beautiful custom labels, too!
I look forward to reading it soon.

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, January 26, 2019
Oh. My. Gosh. I read this ages ago and it got into the wrong box which became buried in the chaos of my house. Only my current decluttering campaign unearthed it. I'm so sorry.

Anyway, I love novels that are about adjustment to a new culture and all the inner and outer turmoil that can bring. The Aminpour sisters were sympathetic, and reading about the dishes (and the included recipes) made my mouth water. I have copied some of them down for future reference. :-)

Thanks again to previous readers for sharing. And RIP Oppem; we miss you.

Journal Entry 7 by wingeponine38wing at Brookings Street Little Library in Medford, Massachusetts USA on Friday, February 15, 2019

Released 11 mos ago (2/15/2019 UTC) at Brookings Street Little Library in Medford, Massachusetts USA

Hope it finds a new reader!

Released for 2019 Wine+Food Release Challenge hosted by GoryDetails.
Released for 2019 Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!