Henderson the Rain King

by Saul Bellow | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by K-i-s-m-e-t of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 7/19/2010
Journal Entry 1 by K-i-s-m-e-t from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, July 19, 2010
I picked this up at the Children's Hospital Book Sale a few years ago. They had packed some boxes full of oversize and odd sized books and were selling the boxes for only $5 each! Woohoo! I bought two! The boxes were pre-packed, so I had no Idea what I'd get, but how could a whole box of books NOT be worth five dollars? When I unpacked them, I found that I had 49 books in one box and 51 books in the other box - exactly one hundred books for ten dollars! That's ten cents each! Of course, there was some fluff (romances and such), and a fair number of books that I'll never read, but there was certainly enough that I will read to make the purchase more than worthwhile! This is one that I'll probably read, but I've got another copy already on my shelf, so this copy will be released sometime soon.

Journal Entry 2 by K-i-s-m-e-t at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, August 07, 2010
Okay, so it seems that *this* is the copy that gets read...not the other one on my shelf. It is the story of a man in search of himself, or rather, in search of who he wants to be. For Eugene Henderson (millionaire), life has never gone quite the way he intended. He tries...he really does...but he can't quite find the right track. And he's got a terribly insistent internal voice that keeps screaming "I want! I want!"...but it won't tell him *what* it wants. In his mid-fifties and going nowhere fast, Henderson impulsively tags along on his friend's honeymoon in Africa. There he confronts his life in a way that would never have been possible in the United States. With the help of a few true (if unlikely) friends who he meets on his travels, Henderson finally finds what it is that he's been looking for.

Journal Entry 3 by K-i-s-m-e-t at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (8/11/2010 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

This book is coming with me to our get together at the Park Theatre Cafe this evening. If no one takes it home, it will remain on the shelf patiently awaiting a new reader. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, August 11, 2010
When this book was offered at the bookcrossing meet-up tonight, there seemed to be a consensus that anyone who hadn't already read it should. Based on that recommendation and since I haven't read anything at all by Saul Bellow, I took the book home. When I'm finished with it, I'll bring it back for day-zee who would like to re-read it. Thanks
k-i-s-m-e-t!

Journal Entry 5 by wingCJL-230711wing at Royal Scot Hotel & Suites in Victoria, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, May 28, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (5/26/2011 UTC) at Royal Scot Hotel & Suites in Victoria, British Columbia Canada

Oops! Oops! Oops! I've just read my previous entry and see that I was supposed to pass this book on to Day-zee. Unfortunately I took it on vacation with me and released it in Victoria yesterday morning. I hope Day-zee will be able to find another copy!

I also have to confess that I only read 100 pages and then gave up. The book just didn't grab me so I decided to move on to the next one. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to try it, k-i-s=-m-e-t.

I left this on a bookshelf in the Games Room of The Royal Scot Hotel.

Welcome to Bookcrossing! I hope you'll enjoy this book and explore the Bookcrossing site. It's loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world! Please let us know that you've found the book, what you thought of it and if possible, where you might re-release it when you're done so it can continue its journey.