A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

by Bill Bryson | Travel |
Registered by Zyana of Porto - City, Porto Portugal on 7/12/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Saturday, July 12, 2003
Bryson was off to a good start with a fair share of witty humor and enjoyable historical references. However half way through the storyline changes abruptly and becomes incongruous, sluggish and tediously punctuated by marginal stories which, although interesting and enlightening, don't have a place on this book and, to a big extend, spoiled most of the reading onwards. The vigor and quality of the writing doesn't hold up and only mildly revives in the last 50 pages. What should have been an highly enjoyable book resulted in a rather heterogeneous patchwork ranging from delightffuly hilarious to tediously boring.

In the end I found myself making the pledge to hike, at least partly, the Appalachian Trail in my lifetime...not a very plausible enterprise but for all It's worth "A Walk in the Woods" gave me that compulsive urge to get up and get going. And that makes reading it entirely worth it!

Journal Entry 2 by Zyana at To another bookcrosser in -- Controlled Release --, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Released 16 yrs ago (7/1/2004 UTC) at To another bookcrosser in -- Controlled Release --, Porto Portugal

Given to an American friend who was visiting me in Porto. Hopefully she'll read it and afterward log in and write her views on the book before releasing it in the wild ...