The Witch of Portobello

by Paulo Coelho | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 7/14/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, July 14, 2010
The Witch of Portobello is a fiction work by Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho published in 2007, about a woman born in Transylvania to a Romani mother, who is orphaned and later adopted by a wealthy Lebanese couple.
In this book, Coelho works with the return to the goddess religion, the interpretation of love, and the feminine part of the Divine within the theme of searching for one’s true self and opening to the energies of the world.
He also alludes via a series of covert motifs to current issues, such as crime, sects, debates against Christianity and Catholicism, and even dieting, where the original themes coalesce to form the story of a woman "of the twenty-second century living in the twenty-first".
The work also expounds a selection of philosophies, which bear a certain degree of similarity to Coelho's teachings from previous novels and carry the characteristic imprint of his own ideas, as well as a citation regarding the ephemeral nature of desires, which appears in another of Coelho's novels.
Throughout the book, Coelho demonstrates what may be a new angle to his esteem of the Catholic Church, his belief in which has been a significant question throughout his lifetime. By way of the characters' behavior and speech, the writer elucidates the opinion that the Church has deviated by its stringent rules to the point where it no longer serves the teachings of Jesus Christ, or as put in his words in one of the interviews from the book: "It's a very long time since they've allowed me in there [the Church]".
(Wikipedia)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Summer Gift Giving, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 15, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (7/16/2010 UTC) at Summer Gift Giving, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Summer Gift Wishlist Surprise
Happy reading!
Sent by surface mail... hope it won't take forever...

Journal Entry 3 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Thank you so much for this wishlist book ApoloniaX!! I love all the great stuff, too! I will really enjoy using my new personalized labels. Thank very much!

Dec. 16 2010...I still want to read this book, but I need to cull my TBR pile, so I am going to pass it around the Calgary Bookcrossers until I get it back. I do want to get this one back..ok??

Journal Entry 4 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, December 16, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (12/17/2010 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book and many others at the Calgary Bookcrossers Christmas Meet up at Olive Garden tonight.

Journal Entry 5 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 17, 2010
Thank you herchelle!! I'll take good care of it while I read this!

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 07, 2011
I really enjoyed this book, and coincidently as I'm writing this another Coelho book is on the side bar as recently caught. I hope KZgunea enjoys that one as much as I liked this one. Some of the spiritual practises of this book really resonated with me since they also underpin the Godly Play method of children's spirituality I'm currently using in the children's program at my (liberal, protestant) church.

I'll make arrangements to get this back to herchelle sometime in March, hopefully. it would be a nice entry for the "oh the places you can go!" release challenge. I know we're trying to get a thursday meeting going...

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/16/2011 UTC) at Calgary, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

returning to herchelle on my way to volunteering tonight.

Released for Secretariat's 2011 "Oh the places you'll go!" release challenge. http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/451310

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 8 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, March 16, 2011
I have it back now, I'm glad that you enjoyed it megami-no-ushi! I will put it at the top of my TBR pile, it is my turn to enjoy it!

Journal Entry 9 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, August 24, 2011
I just finished this very thought provoking book, and I seem to be in the right time or phase of my life to really appreciate the message of the Mother. I have felt this questioning for some time now. Very interesting, thank you again ApoloniaX. Looking for the next reader.

Journal Entry 10 by copchic905 at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, October 14, 2011