No wind of Blame

by Georgette Heyer | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Beqi of Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on 7/13/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Beqi from Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Product Description
Tragedy befalls the Carter family following an eventful visit from a Russian prince and a scandalous blackmail letter. The murder of Wally Carter generates a bewildering mystery - how does one shoot a man crossing a narrow bridge without being near the murder weapon when it is fired? The superlatively analytical Inspector Hemingway reveals his unnerving talent for solving a fiendish problem.

Journal Entry 2 by Beqi at Dolphin Cafe in Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Released 13 yrs ago (7/22/2010 UTC) at Dolphin Cafe in Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Taking along to Dolphin Café in Towcester, to help re-stock the shelves :-)

Journal Entry 3 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 7, 2011
Hi Beqi, this must have been on a jaunt and then returned, as I've only just spotted it! Already read one of her mysteries & enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 4 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (1/6/2022 UTC) at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

A wishlist book, apologies for the dire state, that's how it arrived with me! Hopefully you'll still be able to read and enjoy it.

Journal Entry 5 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 15, 2022
Received with a wonderful Seven Swans a Swimming 12 Days of Christmas gift, a wishlist book. Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 15, 2024
The disreputable Wally Carter isn't much liked by anyone - his wealthy wife who he doesn't treat well, his ward who is embarrassed by his behaviour, the 'county set' who think he is beneath them, not to mention a farmer who is in love with the beautiful Ermyntrude, and a Georgian prince who is after her money. Throw in Ermyntrude's would-be actress daughter, friend of the family Hugh Dering, and Wally's disreputable friends the Whites, and you have a great set of characters for a brilliant whodunnit with a bit of romance thrown in. Inspector Hemmingway has his work cut out to see how Wally can have been shot crossing a narrow footbridge. A really enjoyable read.

Sadly the book really isn't in a good state. I've had a go at patching it up a bit so I hope it can manage another reader.

Journal Entry 7 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 22, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2024 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

A wishlist RABCK to RedDahlia.

Journal Entry 8 by RedDahlia at Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, February 26, 2024
Thank you Greenbadger for the RABCK. Much appreciated. At the moment I am about half way through the 'mystery' written before this one (A Blunt Instrument) so will look forward to tucking into this! I love all GH's books (especially the romantic historical fiction) as she was such a witty writer and really knew her stuff and one of the few authors that I can keep dipping back into and become reacquainted with all her marvelous characters.

Journal Entry 9 by RedDahlia at Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, March 31, 2024
Just finished reading. There weren't as many amusing moments in this mystery (as in other books) but it did make me chuckle when they were discussing the possible complications that could occur when it was announced that a Russian Prince (Alexis Varasashvili) would be coming to stay especially when the daughter of the house had a dog called Prince.

'I must say it does make things a bit awkward. I mean you know what Prince is! It would be awful if I went and said, "Get off that chair, Prince", as I don't doubt I will do, thanks to the way you spoil that dog. Oh well Prince will have to be tied up, that's all'. And later after the Prince's arrival:

'Ermintrude's air of pensiveness fell from her as soon as she saw the spaniel jumping up at her guest, and she exclaimed with strong indignation: 'If you haven't let that Prince come into the house, Wally! I told you the stable was the place for him!' - (which of course startled the Prince).

I thought a couple of the characters were a little annoying but I liked the character of the insufferable Prince and thought the muddle of the two 'Princes' could have been exploited a bit more!

I did not guess correctly who the murderer of Wally Carter was but it was certainly a convoluted investigation. Some characters just seemed to disappear towards the end and once the murder was solved there was no big round up of the household to make the big announcement, which I was not sorry about but it did seem to all peter out abruptly as if the author could not be bothered with prolonging it any longer.

Thanks again for RABCK'ing this book to me. Just got to think what to do with it next...