The Book Thief

by Markus Zusak | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 7/10/2010
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Saturday, July 10, 2010
I got this book last Christmas (or maybe for my birthday?) from my mother and I believe that she bought it in Göteborg because the bookmark references a Swedish bookshop. I left it lying around for a while because I didn't feel like reading anything depressing WWII themed.

Well, I finally was in a historic mood this past month and "The Book Thief" was one of the books I read and it turned out to be utterly amazing. It was a bit odd at first what with all the German phrases in-between but it worked really well. Superb writing style, too! Most of all, I loved the characters: they seemed really human, flaws and all, and were so real I'm half-wondering whether Zusak was writing about real people, maybe his grandmother's story or something. I've no idea whether he did, but while reading I got the impression.

At the ending I was positively bawling, which is another proof of Zusak's skill. After all, the story is told by Death himself and he makes no pretensions people are not gonna die, and still I couldn't stop crying.

Brilliant book, this one's a keeper.