The Color Purple

by Alice Walker | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 7/10/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Saturday, July 10, 2010
Editorial Reviews

Review
Novel by Alice Walker, published in 1982. It won a Pulitzer Prize in 1983. A feminist novel about an abused and uneducated black woman's struggle for empowerment, the novel was praised for the depth of its female characters and for its eloquent use of black English vernacular.

Product Description
Sisters Nettie and Celie, the former a missionary in Africa, the latter a southern woman trapped in an unhappy marriage, share their thoughts and experiences throughout a thirty-year correspondence.

This is also No. 272 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, July 16, 2010
Bookray
Starting a bookray for this book. Please PM me if interested in joining. Bookray will remain open until last person has the book.

Book appears to be lost in the mail. Hopefully, it will turn up and continue on its journey at some point.

Participants so far:

. Martjxox from Italy (EU only)
. vvampiress4u4 from UK (EU only)<----Skipped
. disneyfreaksam from UK (International)<----Traveling here
. Spartaca from UK (International)
. fushmush from Australia (Internaltional if needed)

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookray.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to get it out to next reader within a couple of months)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail
* Last person on the ray: Please either donate the book to the 1001-library or pass it on to another bookcrosser as a RABCK, etc.

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Thursday, July 22, 2010
I have been meaning to read this book for years ever since seeing the movie when it first came out in the 1980s. I'm glad I finally got to read it and now I would like to see the movie again to see how it compares. The book is excellent filled with honesty and heart-wrenching poignancy. The story of Celie through a childhood filled with incest and abuse to her growth into adulthood is beautifully written. The novel includes correspondence with Celie's sister Nettie who traveled to Africa as a missionary. I don't remember this being a focus of the movie but it's essential to the story. Overall, a brilliant work delving into the lives of some memorable African Americans.

Journal Entry 4 by wingperryfranwing at Perugia, Umbria Italy on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/22/2010 UTC) at Perugia, Umbria Italy

Winging to Italy to start this bookray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Martjxox at Perugia, Umbria Italy on Friday, August 06, 2010
got it in the post! am tot excited abt it!!! thank you!!! :-)

hey anyone still into this book?! wonder if none gets my pms? i must pass this on!

Journal Entry 6 by Martjxox at Perugia, Umbria Italy on Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/24/2010 UTC) at Perugia, Umbria Italy

sent to Disneyfreaksam.. finally the book gets moving.. i didn't want to stall it, but it is not entirely my fault.. :-P