M Is for Magic

by Neil Gaiman | Teens |
Registered by wingmathgirl40wing of Waterloo, Ontario Canada on 7/8/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingmathgirl40wing from Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 8, 2010
A collection of scary, creepy and imaginative short stories from Neil Gaiman.

Reserved for Minerva101's Young-Adult VBB.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 8, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (4/8/2011 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

Sent to megami-no-ushi, who chose this book from Minerva101's Young Adult VBB. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 20, 2011
This arrived in the mail two days ago but I have been so busy prepping for the board meeting and going away over Easter I kept forgetting to journal it.

I'm looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 4 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (10/12/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the October meet up!

An excellent collection of short stories - Gaiman is a master of this genre too!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 5 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 12, 2013
Oooo! Can't wait to read this. Picked uop at the October meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers!

Journal Entry 6 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, January 3, 2014
Thanks for sharing this fun collection.

Journal Entry 7 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (1/11/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

This book is going to the January meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, so that it can find a new reader.

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 13, 2014
I picked this up at the January Bookcrossing meeting - adding it to the groaning shelves.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 28, 2014
Funny collection - makes you laugh to think of the origins for the short stories. Very imaginative.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 11, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (10/11/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to the October meet up of the Calgary BookCrossing group that meets at Cravings.

Journal Entry 11 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Grabbed at get together

Journal Entry 12 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, January 2, 2015
A nice, random collection of stories! I also really liked his intro as to why short stories are great. Ironically, the sale of the Eiffel Tower (the idea behind one of the stories) came up at a family dinner recently, shortly after I finished reading the story.

Thanks for the fun read.

Journal Entry 13 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (6/13/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to get together

Journal Entry 14 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 16, 2015
picked this up at June 13th meeting

Journal Entry 15 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 11, 2015
Picked this up at the July Calgary BookCrossing meetup.

I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman, but haven't read any of his short stories, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 16 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, July 15, 2015
diversity of writing styles, and some really creative plots
If you like stories with open endings, with lots of room for interpretation, this is right up your alley - but if you like closure in your stories, might want to pass on this one

Journal Entry 17 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 11, 2016
I enjoyed this collection of short stories. I found that the stories in the second half of the book are stronger, but they are all worth reading.

Highlights for me are:

Chivalry
The Price
How to Talk to Girls at Parties
The Witch's Headstone

Journal Entry 18 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 11, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (6/11/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Bringing to the June Calgary BookCrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 19 by Calicookie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 12, 2016
Brought this home from the June Bookcrossing meeting!

Journal Entry 20 by Crossing-Guard at Langdon, Alberta Canada on Sunday, August 14, 2016
Picked up at August's meeting...

Journal Entry 21 by Calicookie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 16, 2016
I only got through about half the book before I didn't want to read it anymore. Some of the stories were great! The others, not so much. There's one story in particular that I really enjoyed, but that's about it. Hopefully the next reader will have more luck with it than I did!

Journal Entry 22 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 11, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (3/11/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Returning this to the group... really not a short story person and this one is just sitting here. I read the first story and enjoyed it but wanted more... too short.

Journal Entry 23 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, April 9, 2017
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing April meet-up. I haven't read a lot of Neil Gaiman's stuff, which is shameful, so this is a step in the right direction.

Journal Entry 24 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, June 9, 2017
I don't know why I haven't read more of Neil Gaiman's stuff. The short story route is nice because you got a good mix of different genres. I really liked "Chivalry", "The Price", and "The Witch's Headstone". I think someone told me Bod is the main character in "The Graveyard Book"? "Instructions", the poem at the end, I had actually already read. My niece had borrowed the illustrated kid's book from the library. I liked "Instructions" as well. In a very short amount of space, Gaiman sums up a hero's journey and how you never return home the same person.

Need to read some of Gaiman's books for adults...

Journal Entry 25 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 10, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (6/10/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing June meet-up.

Journal Entry 26 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 10, 2017
Picked up at the monthly bookcrossing meeting at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 27 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018
I didn't think I enjoyed short stories... I was wrong.
To be fair I love Neil Gaiman's writing style so it was a really easy read.
My favorite stories included:
The case of the four and twenty blackbirds
How to talk to girls at parties
Sunbird

Although those listed are my favorites, all the stories in this book are worth reading.

Journal Entry 28 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book at the monthly book crossing meeting at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 29 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 15, 2018
Just picked this book up from last Saturday's meeting at Cravings. Haven't read it yet