The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Registered by star69 of Sittingbourne, Kent United Kingdom on 7/7/2010
Journal Entry 1 by star69 from Sittingbourne, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 07, 2010
Very enjoyable book

Journal Entry 2 by star69 at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/17/2010 UTC) at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sorry it took so long to send this think I had post holiday blues!

Journal Entry 3 by ronsar at Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Thank you star69; it arrived today and I'm looking forwards to reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by ronsar at Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Monday, May 09, 2011
I had read so much about it that I expected a masterpiece. I found it a little simplistic for my tastes but as star69 wrote it was enjoyable. I liked the story about Oscar Wilde and the moving afterword by Annie Barrows. Now I have to see if someone is interested in reading it and send it off.

Journal Entry 5 by ronsar at Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/11/2011 UTC) at Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany

Off to meet the BCer maria-gr in Greece.

Journal Entry 6 by maria-gr at Rethymno, Rethymno Greece on Thursday, June 23, 2011
The book arrived a few days ago. Thank you ronsar!

Journal Entry 7 by maria-gr at Rethymno, Rethymno Greece on Monday, August 08, 2011
Ronsar was right. This was a delightful and fast reading. I love reading about life in small communities, where everyone knowns everyone and his business. If done right the reader feels part of the community and IMO that's the case with this book. I'm also grateful for all the historical information regarding WWII. I liked what small glimpses the readers were given of the aftermath of the London blitz, but especially those of the occupation of the Channel Islands. Looking back it certainly makes sense that these islands were occupied, but somehow I hadn't heard about it till now. What I didn't like was the character of Elizabeth. She was too heroic, too perfect, larger than life, and a bit of a Mary Sue. Everything involving her had to be heroic and brave acts. The Oscar Wilde sub plot didn't thrill me and I wish it hadn't taken a let's destroy the heroine twist.

I gave the book to fellow bookcrosser Pinkhippo.

Journal Entry 8 by maria-gr at Rethymno, Rethymno Greece on Saturday, December 22, 2012
The book has returned to me.