Citadel

by Kate Mosse | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 9781409120834 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingdark-dracowing of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 7/1/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingdark-dracowing from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 1, 2010
Re-using an old BCID as I accidently assigned two to the same book :(

Bought this from Amazon.co.uk to complete the trilogy so I can read them all in one go.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 5, 2021
Wow - I've finally finished the trilogy! That took a definite commitment to get through all three books. 'Citadel' is definitely my favourite (even though it suffers from the same lack of editing as the first two). It sort of has the same premise, with two linked storylines separated by history, but in this case the earlier one is set during the fall of the Roman Empire, and the 'modern' one is set at the send of the 2nd World War. In fact, the Roman storyline barely exists - a few chapters scattered throughout the novel, it never really forms a complete story and I don't think it even needs to be there - it is never actually finished, so the link with Sandrine's story is tenuous at best.

But its her story that makes this book - action packed, tense and exciting, it rattles along as Sandrine and her friends are pulled into the French Resistance movement, fighting back against the Nazis and the local collaborators. Characters from the previous novel turn up and lend their support, and there is a very bad, bad guy to hate.

The supernatural element is very played down and, like 'Sephulchre' kind of acts as a Deus ex machina - a couple of chapters is all that is devoted to it and was kind of a let down. It would have been better to have witnessed the events from Authie's point of view, as well as Sandrine's, so that a little bit of horror was added and would maybe explain what happened to the corpses of the soldiers.

I don't like the ending though - not at all. Don't mind a sad one, but after devoting over 150 chapters and 900 pages to following their story, it would have been nicer for it to have had a happy one.

Overall, an ok trilogy that could have been a lot shorter and more punchy, but was kind of entertaining if you didn't let the length get to you too much ;)

Journal Entry 3 by wingdark-dracowing at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, October 18, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (10/18/2021 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Enjoy your box of goodies :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Arrived today. Thank you so much for my box of goodies, a really lovely and much needed treat!