The American Boy

by Andrew Taylor | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingearthcaroleannewing of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on 6/25/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2010
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2010
England 1819: Thomas Shield, a new master at a school just outside London, is tutor to a young American boy and the boy's sensitive best friend, Charles Frant. Drawn to Frant's beautiful unhappy mother, Thomas becomes caught up in her family's twisted intrigues. Then a brutal crime is committed, with consequences that threaten to destroy Thomas and all that he has come to hold dear. Despite his efforts, Shield is caught up in a deadly tangle of sex, money, murder and lies - a tangle that grips him tighter even as he tries to escape from it. And what of the strange American child at the heart of these macabre events - what is the secret of the boy named Edgar Allan Poe.

Journal Entry 3 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 24, 2018
I have tried to read this three times. The first twice I never reached anywhere near half way. The third time I borrowed it from the library on audio to see if that was better. Unfortunately not. There is no intriguing story line, the plot is muddled and confusing and the writing style less than brilliant. The narrative was very boring with not much happening even although there were long descriptions plus I found the narrator very irritating and I really didn't care what happened to any of the characters. I’m writing this before I have finished the appendices – I think there are eight and I’ve given up caring.

Journal Entry 4 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 16, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (12/16/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Taking to the extra Old Gang Christmas Meetup held for Poodlesister.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
Picked up at the Old Gang Meet-up.

Journal Entry 6 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (12/18/2018 UTC) at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom

A wishlist book going in the internal mail to Shahrun.

Journal Entry 7 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, December 27, 2018
Thank you so much for this wish granting RABCK. I shall do my best to get it moving again as soon as I can.