The Railway Viaduct (Inspector Robert Colbeck)

by Edward Marston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Heaven-Ali of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 6/20/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, June 20, 2010
I discovered the books of Edward Marston quite by accident. Some of his books were for sale at The works bargin book shop, and I bought three - only to discover I had 1 of one series and two of another. So I bought the first in the Railway detective series
from Amazon, as I prefer to read series in order as much as I can. I have now discovered that Edward Marston - whom I confess I hadn't heard of before - is a prolific writer, of dozens of books it seems - several different historical mystery series, and writes
under two names.

Amazon Editorial Review
As a train speeds over the Sankey Viaduct, the dead body of a man is hurled into the canal below. Inspector Robert Colbeck and Sergeant Victor Leeming take charge of their most complex and difficult case yet. Hampered by the fact that the corpse has nothing on him to indicate his identity, they are baffled until a young woman comes forward to explain that the murder victim, Gaston Chabal, is an engineer, working on a major rail link in France. As the case takes on an international dimension, problems accumulate. The detectives wonder if the murder is connected to a series of vicious attacks on the rail link that is being built by British navvies under the direction of a British construction engineer. Colbeck and Leeming have to survive personal danger, resistance from the French government, broadsides from their Superintendent, and many other setbacks before they solve the crime.

Journal Entry 2 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 15, 2011
A man is thrown from a moving train as it crosses a viaduct, and an artist captures the moment. This is the exciting start of the latest case for Robert Colbeck. The third in the Railway destective sereies sees Robert Colbeck spending part of his investigation in France, among the railway engineers, while his trusty sergeant Victor Leeming tries to infiltrate a violent group of Irish navvies that are suspected of sabotage. Me meet Madeline Andrews and her father again, although they don't play such a big role, it' nice to have non police characters that reaccur in each book - how long I wonder before she is Mrs Colbeck? Although not my favourite in the series, this was enojoyable escapism after a much heavier read (Iris Murdoch).

cross-patch - Uk (UK)
Katisha50 - UK (UK)
caterinaAnna - UK (UK)
Rahar109 - UK
candy-is-dandy - UK (int'l surface)
WelshHelen - UK (Eur/or Int'l surface)
Icila - France (anywhere)
NMReader - US (US only)
eicuthbertson - canada (int'l
katweeble - UK (UK)
Amethystlady64 - UK
tagesmann - UK (anywhere)
seayork2002 - UK (UK)
Back to me Heaven-Ali

Journal Entry 3 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/25/2011 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Off to cross-patch

Journal Entry 4 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Thank you very much. This is my only book ring book so it should be read within the week.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 05, 2011
Very enjoyable indeed, although the conclusion seemed a bit rushed.. i like this series very much, thank you Ali.

Released 8 yrs ago (2/5/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to Birmingham. I hope you enjoy it too.

Journal Entry 7 by wingKatisha50wing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, February 27, 2011
Sorry, didn't do a JE when this arrived. I have now read it and found it an enjoyable read, although much grittier than the others. Will be off to the next person as soon as.

Again, apologies that I didn't do proper release notes on this. What I should have said was that this book is released for the Never Judge A Book By Its Cover release challenge 2011, Week 9 (railway theme). I won't get this on my stats, but I think it'll count for the challenge!

Journal Entry 8 by Caterinaanna at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 06, 2011
Now with me, thanks all.

Journal Entry 9 by Caterinaanna at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 26, 2011
Some new environments for the series, new challenges for Robert and new - and dangerous - experiences for Victor. Once again the machinations of the people behind the railways lead to death and destruction, and there are certainly considerable amounts of the latter. Inspector Colbeck and his team - official and unofficial - once again get to the bottom of it all with some red herrings along the way. I've seen criticism of the profanity (I think that was the word used) in this book elsewhere, but Marston puts it in the mouths of the navvies and labourers who I have no doubt would have spoken (and behaved) in the way he paints them, even if Dickens et al didn't tell us so. It wasn't enough to make me wince, and I enjoyed this escape into another time as much as I have the rest in the series.

Journal Entry 10 by Caterinaanna at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 26, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/25/2011 UTC) at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom

Off in the post to rahar109

Journal Entry 11 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 28, 2011
Arrived this morning, thank you.

Journal Entry 12 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 21, 2011
Read this a couple of weeks ago but didn't have time to do anything before I went to Washington. As usual, an enjoyable and lightweight read that this time takes place across the Channel in France as well as this country.
C-i-D is next.

Journal Entry 13 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 28, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/28/2011 UTC) at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom

Posted to Candy-is-Dandy.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Braintree, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, May 06, 2011
Arrived with me. Thanks.

Journal Entry 15 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Braintree, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2011
My favourite book of the series so far. It didn't seem as 'twee' and simplistic as the others though still a light easy read.

Caterinaanna mentions profanity in this book - well I don't recall much, if any, so I must be immune to coarseness, a real navvie at heart.

I found the comments about the railways taking over from canals very interesting and would have liked more about that, but then I am a fan of the canals, though also love steam trains (a nerd and a navvie!!)

Released 8 yrs ago (6/30/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

To WelshHelen, next up in the spiral.

Journal Entry 17 by WelshHelen at Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 03, 2011
Another enjoyable read from Marston, this is my favourite so far. It does strike me that it's pretty amazing that the world has such a fine rail network considering how many rich, powerful men seemed to be against it :-)

Like candy-is-dandy I really don't remember any swearing so it must have been minimal and fitting to the story. I do like Brendan and was glad to see Madeleine and her father again, though only for short periods. Even Tallis is growing me... :-)

Apologies to c-i-d as I totally forgot to journal the book when I received it. I've pmd Icilia and will get the book moving as soon as I have her address. Thanks again, Heaven-Ali for sharing this series.

Journal Entry 18 by WelshHelen at Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Posted to Icilia yesterday, air mail.

Journal Entry 19 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, August 19, 2011
Thanks Helen, it was yersterday in my mailbox.

Journal Entry 20 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, September 10, 2011
I had a special interest in this one considering that the action took place in France. I didn't know that the railways were constructed by british companies. The plot is a bit far-fetched for me but the interest resides in the research about the railway.
Interesting to notice that today we are digging new canals.

Journal Entry 21 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (9/13/2011 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to NMreader in USA.

Journal Entry 22 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 18, 2011
Arrived over the weekend. I have a few before it but will read asap

Journal Entry 23 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 16, 2011
Finished the book yesterday. Read almost the entire book on planes and in airports. I thought this was appropriate as I suspect that Colbeck would be fascinated by planes if he if the books were set in a different age.

Interesting and educational, this was a quick and enjoyable read.

I like how art played a part in the mystery.

I will mail soon but am unsure when as I am out of town due to a work related emergency.

Journal Entry 24 by eicuthbertson at Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, November 12, 2011
Arrived now in BC, Canada. Looking forward to reading this book on the weekend. Will PM katweeble - next in line.

Journal Entry 25 by eicuthbertson at Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, November 26, 2011
Forgot to journal but this book is already in the mail, on its way to England.

Enjoyed the read. Interesting interplay again between the main characters. And the really bad characters were 'good'.

Journal Entry 26 by Katweeble at Wolverhampton, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, December 05, 2011
The book has arrived safely - Merry Christmas to everyone who has read it so far, and thanks for the lovely card eicuthbertson

Journal Entry 27 by Katweeble at Wolverhampton, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 11, 2011
Whilst I find the historical interjections interesting they are also a little stilted and don't always help the story. The story, however, is well though out and interesting. It was a good read, and I am looking forward to reading others in the series.

Will post to tagesmann as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 28 by tagesmann at Kiveton Park, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Arrived yesterday, thanks.