The Excursion Train

by Edward Marston | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Heaven-Ali of on 6/20/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Heaven-Ali from not specified, not specified not specified on Sunday, June 20, 2010
I discovered the books of Edward Marston quite by accident. Some of his books were for sale at The works bargin book shop, and I bought three - only to discover I had 1 of one series and two of another. So I bought the first in the Railway detective series
from Amazon, as I prefer to read series in order as much as I can. I have now discovered that Edward Marston - whom I confess I hadn't heard of before - is a prolific writer, of dozens of books it seems - several different historical mystery series, and writes
under two names.

London, 1852. On the shocking discovery of a passenger's body on the Great Western Railway excursion train, Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck and his assistant, Sergeant Victor Leeming, are dispatched to the scene. Faced with what initially appears to be a motiveless murder, Colbeck is intrigued by the murder weapon - a noose. When it emerges that the victim had worked as a public executioner, Colbeck realizes that this must be intrinsically linked to the killer's choice of weapon. However, the further he delves into the case, the more mysterious it becomes. When a second man is strangled with a noose on the train, Colbeck knows that he must act quickly; can he catch the murderer before more lives are lost? The memorable characters, first featured in The Railway Detective, again lead you down unexpected paths in their quest to solve the mystery of the noose murders.

Journal Entry 2 by Heaven-Ali at on Thursday, August 19, 2010
I enjoyed this second installmet in the Railway Detective series. It's light escapism, and that was what I was in the mood for. The historical details are good, although as I said in my review of the first book, the dialogue is sometimes a bit modern.

The plot of this book was not as guessable either - although not impossible to work out some of the details - it wasn't as transparent as the first book. There are some likeable characters too, that we are sure to meet again as we have now begun to settle into this new series. The relationship between that of Robert Colbeck and his Sergeant Leeming is well established although that too may be a little modern for the 1850's. But all in all it's good light entertainment, perfect for curling up with when you don't want anything too taxing.

This will be going out as part of the Railway detective spiral soon.

cross-patch - Uk (UK)
Katisha50 - UK (UK)
caterinaAnna - UK (UK)
Rahar109 - UK
candy-is-dandy - UK (int'l surface)
WelshHelen - UK (Eur/or Int'l surface)
Icila - France (anywhere)
NMReader - US (US only)
eicuthbertson - canada (int'l
katweeble - UK (UK)
Amethystlady64 - UK
tagesmann - UK (anywhere)
seayork2002 - UK (UK)
Back to me Heaven-Ali

Journal Entry 3 by Heaven-Ali at on Monday, August 23, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/23/2010 UTC) at

The second book in the The railway Detective series spiral - sending to the first person on the list.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCross-patchwing at on Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Came with the postman this morning. Thank you Ali.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCross-patchwing at on Tuesday, September 14, 2010
I liked No. 2 even better than the first. It seemed a bit meatier, if you know what I mean! I'll just check that Katisha50 is ready for it before I send it on. Thank you Heaven-Ali for sharing another 'Railway Detective' with us.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCross-patchwing at on Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/22/2010 UTC) at

Going to the next in line.

Journal Entry 7 by wingKatisha50wing at on Friday, September 24, 2010
Thank you, Cross-patch, this book arrived today. I shall get to it as soon as I can, i.e. when I have finished all 522 pages of the current Iris Murdoch!

Journal Entry 8 by wingKatisha50wing at on Saturday, October 16, 2010
I enjoyed this every bit as much as the first book. I wonder how many books we have to get through before the wedding?

Journal Entry 9 by wingKatisha50wing at on Saturday, October 23, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/23/2010 UTC) at

Off to CaterinaAnna.

Journal Entry 10 by Caterinaanna at on Monday, October 25, 2010
Arrived afely: thanks katisha50.

Journal Entry 11 by Caterinaanna at on Tuesday, November 02, 2010
I too thought this better than the first one. Not only was it more of a mystery (although the villain & motive weren't that hard to guess once the clues were in place, at least we didn't get his point of view), but the part played by Madeline was less dramatic and romantic-novelly. As others have pointed out, language and relationships are probably a little too modern, but so what? It's escapism!

Going back to the other JE to check who's next ...

Journal Entry 12 by wingrahar109wing at on Monday, November 08, 2010
I'm next!
Was waiting for me when I got back home this weekend, thank you.

Journal Entry 13 by wingrahar109wing at on Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Like the previous readers, I preferred this book to the previous one. I think Marston used the first novel to set the scene and introduce his characters, and could concentrate more on the story in this one. A light, enjoyable read.
Thanks for sending this out, Heaven-Ali.
Off to Candy-is-Dandy.

Journal Entry 14 by wingrahar109wing at on Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/23/2010 UTC) at

Posted to candy-is-dandy.

Journal Entry 15 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at on Sunday, February 20, 2011
So sorry! Don't know what came over me but have had a manic few months and certain books have managed to get put in 'a safe place' and then rediscovered. Hence I've had this for some time and not journalled it etc. Now sitting with my urgent TBRs and hope to get it moving along soon.

Journal Entry 16 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at on Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Another easy, pleasant read. I enjoyed the story though sometimes found the rather stilted writing style, particularly in conversation, rather annoying. The plot was interesting and imaginative - I didn't guess the final outcome though I did suspect one particular liaison.

I do wish the relationship between Colbeck and Maddy would progress - he doesn't seem very interested and I thought she was a bit wishy-washy in this book.

Looking forward to the next installment. This book will soon be chugging cross-country to South Wales.

Thanks for sharing Heaven-Ali. x

Journal Entry 17 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at on Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/16/2011 UTC) at

To WelshHelen

Journal Entry 18 by WelshHelen at on Saturday, March 19, 2011
Receive today - thanks, candy-is-dandy. I'm half-way through another ring book but should get to this one soon.

Journal Entry 19 by WelshHelen at on Wednesday, April 13, 2011
I'm another one who thought that this book was far better than the first, probably because I knew the characters already and Marston didn't waste much time on re-introducing them. Although I'd guessed the baddie and most of the plot, it was a fast read so I didn't mind too much.

The book will be winging its way to Icila this afternoon and many thanks for sharing, Ali.

Journal Entry 20 by WelshHelen at on Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Posted airmail to Icila about half an hour ago!

Journal Entry 21 by wingIcilawing at on Tuesday, April 19, 2011
I received it yesterday. Thanks. I'm looking forward to reading again about Inspector Colbeck.

Journal Entry 22 by wingIcilawing at on Tuesday, April 26, 2011
I enjoyed this one too ! I guessed a part of the intrigue but I've been surprised too.
Looking forward to reading the next.
Thanks again Heaven-Ali !

Journal Entry 23 by wingIcilawing at on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/27/2011 UTC) at

On its way to NMreader in USA.

Journal Entry 24 by NMReader at on Monday, May 02, 2011
It arrived today. Will read as soon as it reaches the top of mount TBR

Journal Entry 25 by NMReader at on Wednesday, July 20, 2011
I thought a status update might be appreciated on this book.

I started reading this book at the gym this morning. I am on page 38. It will be my primary read and hopeful I will finish quite soon.

Journal Entry 26 by NMReader at on Monday, August 08, 2011
Enjoyable though a bit predictable. I love the descriptions and the details that Edward Marston provides.

Good read

Journal Entry 27 by NMReader at on Monday, August 08, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/8/2011 UTC) at

I enjoyed this book and will be mailing with the first in the series.

Journal Entry 28 by eicuthbertson at on Thursday, August 25, 2011
Received in the mail with 'The Railway Detective'. I love trains, so I'm looking forward to reading these.

Journal Entry 29 by eicuthbertson at on Monday, September 12, 2011
Enjoyed this one better than the first. LIkely as some say, we've already been introduced to the characters, so less background needed there. Any mystery with trains I do like though!
Today these 2 books will be on their way to the UK.

Journal Entry 30 by Katweeble at on Friday, September 30, 2011
Book just arrived, thanks

Journal Entry 31 by Katweeble at on Tuesday, October 25, 2011
I like the interplay between Colbeck and Leeming as well as the way Colbeck tries different ways of solving the mystery. He also shows compassion, and is quite intuitive. A good read with an interesting plot.

Journal Entry 32 by Katweeble at on Saturday, October 29, 2011
Posting to tagesmann as Amethyst lady64 did not respond to my pm

Journal Entry 33 by tagesmann at on Monday, October 31, 2011
Arrived today, thanks.

Journal Entry 34 by tagesmann at on Sunday, November 27, 2011
Better than the first book in the series. Slightly less predictable and with more realistic motivations.