No Law in the Land

by Michael Jecks | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/19/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 19, 2010
I love Medieval Murder Mysteries and Michael Jecks is an undoubted Master of the Genre. I generally find his West Country novels featuring Sir Baldwin de Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, and Bailiff Simon Puttock to be intricately woven page-turners, easily holding my attention from first to last. I was therefore delighted to find one I'd not read before in a charity shop in Rugby at the start of a lovely weekend in the Northampton area.
Millycat has her name down to read it next and she's promised to send it on to bluenoser - Yes, at least three MJ fans will be delighted with my discovery!
Amazon Editorial Review: "The new riveting novel from the West Country's medieval crime master Michael Jecks. King Edward II is furious when he learns that his wife Queen Isabella has defied him and remains in France with their son. As the unfortunate messengers of this unhappy news, Sir Baldwin de Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, and his friend, bailiff Simon Puttock, are instantly dismissed from court. Returning to their homes in Devon, the pair are shocked to find that outlaws now hold sway in the land. As the chaos escalates, the bodies of two clerics are found among a party of travellers, all of them - men, women and children - savagely murdered...."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 27, 2010
Well, that didn't hang around for long! I wanted to read it without too much delay, not just because I knew it would be a good read, but so that I'd be familiar with another of Michael Jecks' books before I see him in York next month. He's appearing in conversation with Karen Maitland, another of the Medieval Murderers, and I'm really looking forward to what I'm sure will be an interesting evening.
I certainly wasn't disappointed in my expectations of this exciting adventure. The frightening sense of lawlessness and oppression as order and control break down is very well depicted. It's quite a dark tale, with a threat of menace in the air throughout. Yes, it confirms the author's position as a master storyteller!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 28, 2010
On loan to the non-BookCrossing friend (JR) who's coming with me to the Michael Jecks evening before it gets posted to travel further afield....

Journal Entry 4 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Returned unfinished by JR who only read far enough to remember she'd previously borrowed it from the library but in hardback so hadn't recognised the paperback cover. That's her excuse, anyway! She's a Michael Jecks fan so, of course, had thoroughly enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (7/14/2010 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Travelling safely in the hands of the royal messenger service....

Journal Entry 6 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 23, 2010
Arrived in the post together with a lovely cad of York, about a week ago, many thanks Nu-knees, of course I'll send it on to Blue-Noser when its read.

Journal Entry 7 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 23, 2020
Oh dear, this has sat on Mt Tbr for far too long - a small compensation is that I read it in 2 days as it's a real page Turner. I'm now going to pm Bluenoser to see if she still wants it...

Released 1 mo ago (6/1/2021 UTC) at Book exchange next to the Royal Oak Pub in Blisworth, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Left in the village book exchange, I hope that it finds an appreciative reader.

Left in the village book exchange, I hope that it finds an appreciative reader.