Eight Days of Luke

by Diana Wynne JOnes | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by BlossomU on 7/12/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BlossomU on Saturday, July 12, 2003
I had read this shortly after reading Gaiman´s American Gods. Diana Wynne Jones is an author of children´s and YA books I find fascinating, her uses of myth are extremely unusual. And Gaiman had mentioned this Eight Days of Luke as an inspiration for American Gods, and I can see why, it does involve nordic gods in a modern day setting in DWJ typical style.

I thought I would share this with other interested would-be readers, whether they are fans of Diana Wynne Jones in particular, or just interested in norse mythology! I would like to reread it, hopefully when i have read some more on this mythology, which is why it s a bookring. Bookring is international, but this is a very slim paperback, packaged weighted 140 grams.

And the ring starts with

1. Gyd, Spain
2. Myntti, Finland
3. LisaJane, UK
4. Pikapolonica, Sweden
5. Booklemur ( but only in September, if bookring is too fast, send it to me and I will forward it to booklemur in September!)
6. Lukutoukka, Finland
7. Vi0let, Finland

Journal Entry 2 by BlossomU at on Monday, July 14, 2003
Released on Monday, July 14, 2003 at mailed to another bookcrosser in Lisboa, lisboa Portugal.

And the bookring starts! Let me know if you want to join.

Book was just mailed to Gyd, hope it does not take too long to arrive.

Journal Entry 3 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, July 24, 2003
It has arrived this morning! Starting my reading this weekend.
Thanks BlossomU!

Journal Entry 4 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Monday, July 28, 2003
It's been my first Wynne Jones' book, and enjoyed a lot! And trying to join a pair of bookrays *more* has been the consequence...*sigh*
I absolutely love Norse mythology --Celtic one as well, ask my tattoo ;0)-- so I knew, more or less, what was going on. Since I was young (14) I developed a fascination for Scandinavian countries. I still think I was born somewhere up there and was adopted later. My mother keeps denying it...
Well this little book is been mailed out this morning to visit Finland. Enjoy Myntti!

Journal Entry 5 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, July 31, 2003
The book arrived in the mail this morning. Thank you for starting this bookring, BlossomU! And thank you for the card & bookmark, Gyd! I need to finish my current bookring read first, but I should be ready to start reading "Eight Days of Luke" in a day or two.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, August 15, 2003
I'll mail the book to LisaJane today. More comments later...

Journal Entry 7 by Hexa on Monday, August 18, 2003
Received today, thanks Myntti. I have something of a glut of bookray/ring books right now, but I'll get around to this as soon as I can (long weekend coming up...!).

Journal Entry 8 by Hexa on Monday, August 25, 2003
I really like the way Diana Wynne Jones blends myth and the everyday, and this was no exception. I know just enough about Norse mythology to know what was going on, the nordic gods (well, gods in general!) can be very ambiguous characters and I think this came across really well.

Sending on to Pikapolonica this week.

Journal Entry 9 by pikapolonica on Tuesday, September 09, 2003
The book arrived to Stockholm during my holidays. I will start reading it immediately and write more when I am finished with it.

Journal Entry 10 by pikapolonica on Monday, September 15, 2003
A nice story, where the dubious nature of the nordic gods came up really well. I have never yet read DWJ, but I like the way that she blends the mythology with the reality. It certainly raised my interest in the nordic gods, so should try to get hold of some book with the "real" myths. On the picture is a bronze figurine of the god Frej, which dates into the pre-viking times of the Svea kindgom and was found in Rällinge in Sweden. Frej, the god of fertility, was the main recipient of people's offerings and was regarded as the ancestor of the royal family of the Svea people.

One remark about the book: when it came to me, it was almost falling apart (the major part of the leaves falling off the spine), so I patched it up with some glue. It looks ok for now, but don't handle it too roughly when it comes to you :)

Another remark about the bookring: I have asked booklemur for her address, but she is on the move to UK and will not be able to tell me her address before next week. So the book is going to take a short holiday while waiting for booklemur's new address.

Sent to booklemur on Saturday, 27th September.

Journal Entry 11 by booklemur on Sunday, October 05, 2003
First of all, sorry I didn't make an entry when I got this - the tail end of the moving stress got the better of me.

Really great stuff, and J.K. Rowling has also clearly read this. Worth noting that her versions (ahem) of some of the events and characters are much less interesting and funny than Jones's.

My one (small) complaint is that some of Jones's departures from Nordic mythology are obviously meant to sweeten things up for the preteen reader. Her Odin, for example is chatty, fair, and a sort of benign leader of the other Gods. The Odin of the Edda and the sagas is mysterious, talks very little, and inspires fear in mortals and gods alike. Too scary for a kids book, I guess.

Journal Entry 12 by Lukutoukka from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, October 08, 2003
Thanks, Booklemur! I received "Eight Days of Luke" today, and I try to read it as soon as possible. I'm sure the other books in my TBR pile won't start to weep because they know that vi0let is waiting for this book. Besides, I have noticed that books always tend to befriend with other books and be very nice to to each other. :)

Journal Entry 13 by Lukutoukka from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, October 12, 2003
I finished "Eight Days of Luke" today. It was a good book, and some of the characters were very well described and amusing. Diana Wynne Jones made a good job when she wrote this book.

I will send the book to vi0let as soon as I can, probably tomorrow because post offices are closed today.

Journal Entry 14 by Lukutoukka from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, October 13, 2003
Sent to vi0let today. Have fun! :)

Journal Entry 15 by vi0let from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 14, 2003
Received today. Thankies!
I´m currently in the middle of 6 books, so I think I´ll try to finish one of them before I start reading this -it seems I´m the last in line, anyway.

Journal Entry 16 by vi0let from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 24, 2003
I know very little of Norse mythology, so most of the characters remained a mystery until the end. The story was very enjoyable, though.

I agree with booklemur about Rowling having read this book, but it didn´t bother be while reading.

Journal Entry 17 by BlossomU on Thursday, October 30, 2003
Book arrived yesterday, many thanks vi0let! It was lots of fun to read your journal entries, and it is a nice feeling to have this book having travelled so much ( besides its travels before I even bought it from a library in England to Portugal!).

To be honest, I am not sure I see much influence of this book in Harry Potter. I can see a lot of it in American Gods, but in a very different shape. I suppose this calls for rereads, when I have the time!