Club Dead (Southern Vampire Series)

by Charlaine Harris | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingadrienne10wing of Seattle, Washington USA on 6/12/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, June 12, 2010
from the cover:
There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that's Bill. But recently he's been a little distant - in another state, distant. His sinister and sexy boss Eric has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows, she is off to Jackson, Mississippi to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead. It's a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. but when Sookie finally finds Bill - caught in an act of serious betrayal - she's not sure whether to save him... or sharpen some stakes.

I'm really getting into this series. It's getting that I can't wait to pick up the next one. I did this with the early part of the Anita Blake series, too.
This book had a couple different mysteries and is developing both the romance/interpersonal arc and the overall mystery arc. I liked this a bit better than the last one because the mysteries are seemingly intertwined and both more and less than one might think. And while one of the answers to the mysteries is actually fairly obvious, I didn't guess it, which is an improvement.

Journal Entry 2 by wingadrienne10wing at Omaha, Nebraska USA on Wednesday, July 07, 2010
Thank you for joining this spiral. Each book has a different shipping order, based on who requested it. Please journal each book as you receive it and check who to ship it to. When the book has left it’s current person, the next book will be shipped.

This book is shipped in the following order:
Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead, Dead to the World, Dead as a Doornail, Definitely Dead, All Together Dead, From Dead to Worse

Galleycat [CA, USA]
Thegoaliegirl [USA]
Ellissamay [NY, USA]
Adrienne10 [NE, USA]
Vilda [Sweden]
Ythan [UK]
rainbow3 [UK]

Esme-weatherwax [Ireland]

Some guidelines to help the book on its journey:

1 On receiving the book write a journal entry so we can all keep track of where it is.
2 I will note people who already have had the book and its current location in colored type.
3 The person with the book PM's the next one on the list for their address.

Thank you so much for participating!

Journal Entry 3 by wingadrienne10wing at -- BookSpiral, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/10/2010 UTC) at -- BookSpiral, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Will be sending on its way to start the spiral with galleycat as soon as Elissamay has book 1 and Thegoaliegirl has book 2.

Several readers wanted only through book 3. Let me know if you would like to continue with the spiral or be removed after receiving/reading this book. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by galleycat at San Clemente, California USA on Thursday, November 18, 2010
Got the book a few days ago. Just realized I hadn't done the journal entry. Halfway through. Thanks, adrienne10. You rock. As usual.

Journal Entry 5 by galleycat at San Clemente, California USA on Sunday, January 02, 2011
Time flies when you're not having fun. (smile)

I've been really unfair in not finding time in my life to mail this book forward. No excuses. I've apologized to adriennne10, who has been incredibly gracious and patient. Apologies to everyone else on the list.

I'll airmail it to 'goaliegirl' on Monday and log in here to let everyone know it's on its way. I'll spend my obligatory five minutes in the corner at some point ... if I can find the five minutes in a life that doesn't seem to have enough spare moments in it anymore. Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Journal Entry 6 by galleycat at San Clemente, California USA on Tuesday, January 04, 2011
Sent this airmail this morning to 'goaliegirl.' Should arrive in two to three days. Thanks again, adrienne10, for letting me play in your sandbox.

Loved the book, by the way. Another winner in the series.

Journal Entry 7 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Spokane, Washington USA on Thursday, January 06, 2011
Book has arrived safely in Spokane. I'll start this once I finish my current book. Looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 8 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Spokane, Washington USA on Saturday, January 15, 2011
This book was a quick, light read. I had a hard time putting it down. It isn't my absolute favorite series but I do find it highly enjoyable. I can't wait to read the next one.

Journal Entry 9 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 16, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/16/2011 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to elissamay via 1st class mail

Journal Entry 10 by elissamay at Brooklyn, New York USA on Wednesday, January 19, 2011
This showed up in the mail today. Thanks! Looking forward to the next installment...

Journal Entry 11 by elissamay at Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, March 14, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/14/2011 UTC) at Brooklyn, New York USA

Mailed to Sweden this afternoon... bon voyage!

Journal Entry 12 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Thursday, March 17, 2011
Arrived safely today! Thank you!

Journal Entry 13 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Sunday, April 03, 2011
I sincerely enjoy the books about Sookie. They are strangely refreshing and have a peculiar lightness despite all the actual events...

In a few days it travels.

Journal Entry 14 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Monday, April 04, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/5/2011 UTC) at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden

The next one for you!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 09, 2011
Arrived safe and sound. I'm still reading book 1 (92% complete) as I had another bookray that I had to read first. Will be reading books 2 and 3 back to back.

Journal Entry 16 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 12, 2011
Not as good as the first two. For me the chemistry between Sookie and Bill made for more exciting reading. They didn't have that kind of bond in this book and I missed it. Enjoyed reading about all the new characters and their abilities, they kept the pages turning.

That's 3 I've read back to back, looking forward to taking a break and getting into something else now. It won't be too long before book 4 arrives by the look of the participant list.

I'll be reserving this for rainbow3 on her next visit up to Aberdeen in July.

Journal Entry 17 by Ythan at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 21, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/21/2011 UTC) at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

Giving to rainbow3 at the Aberdeen, Scotland meetup tonight. :)

Journal Entry 18 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 13, 2011
(((Huge apologies seems I forgot to journal I caught this!)))

BOOK COVER: "Charlaine Harris delivers both horror and humour as seen from the unique perspective of rural America." TANYA HUFF

There’s only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that’s Bill. But recently he’s been a little distant – in another state, distant. His sinister and sexy boss Eric has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows she is off to Jackson, Mississippi to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead. It’s a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. But when Sookie finally finds Bill – caught in a act of serious betrayal- she’s not sure whether to save him…or sharpen more stakes.

“Harris playfully mixes several genres to make a new one that is her own bright creation.” THE DENVER POST
“Great fun…a light-hearted small-town variation of the some sort of vampire thrills that make Laurell K. Hamilton’s ‘Anita Blake’ Series so popular.” LOCUS
“You don’t want to miss a single paragraph of this Southern Vampire series…A delightful blend of humour, intrigue, mild eroticism, and human (and non-human) nature.” CEMETERY DANCE
-----------------------------------------------------

Bill’s missing in action though there are grave doubts about his faithfulness Sookie, heartsick though loyal is scooting off to help find him. Amongst other activities at Eric’s behest Sookie teams up with a construction company owner, Alcide Herveaux, a dashing werewolf, and meets the small and ruthless King of Mississippi, Russell Edgington. Sundry bikers create mayhem and Alcide’s off-and-on-again vicious girlfriend Debbie Pelt, a shifter, creates even more. Sookie gets the chance to meet Bill’s maker and Bill and Eric end up both in Sookie’s doghouse.

Lots of scary, action and heroically brave deeds on Sookie’s part, and sadly some heartache before Sookie has an opportunity for a peaceful moment at home. The man from Memphis pops up again and I have to say Harris's touch in creating this character, is such piece of dry, wry wee amusement, its pure genius. I’m enjoying this series hugely!
-----------------------------------------------------

Having spent most of the summer away from home I finally, in August, sat to read this book spiral, well those I have, books one to five. I've now promised to pass the spiral along further so it's high time I got the reviews written. So here's book 3. Club Dead, covered...soon to post to next reader, just want to get the rest of the reviews written before I parcel them all off.

ADDED – this book goes into the post tomorrow, 15th December 2011.
Yippee - at last this book spiral will be moving again.

Journal Entry 19 by Esme-Weatherwax at Limerick, Co. Limerick Ireland on Sunday, February 19, 2012
thanks