Mage Wars 3: Silver Gryphon

by Mercedes Lackey, Larry Dixon | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by dark-draco of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 6/8/2010
Journal Entry 1 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 08, 2010
I have owned this book for years and have read it, despite not having the first book in the trilogy. Now that I finally have all three I will be able to read the complete set in order.

Journal Entry 2 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 30, 2019
The final book in the trilogy is set a little in the future from the previous one. Live in the new city has settled down and the children of our heroes are now all grown up and seeking to forge a life of their own. When two of them are set off to man a remote outpost, and promptly disappear, life us suddenly thrown into turmoil and a desperate fight for survival in the rain forest begins.

I did enjoy this - there was plenty of action and you couldn't help but feel for the characters as they struggled in an unfamiliar environment, not really knowing what they are really facing. My only reason for dropping it a star was I feel slightly uncomfortable about the total annihilation of the Wyrsa - after all, they are only animals of a sort and doing what it is their nature to do. and they were quite fascinating creatures with some peculiar survival strategies. I would like to think they make another appearance in other books in the series!

Released 9 mos ago (10/31/2019 UTC) at — Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the winner (or decoy) of the Mythological Sweepstake.

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Monday, November 18, 2019
The Silver Gryphon arrived safely in Delphi today along with tons of fabulous book labels and stickers!

Thank you very much dark-draco, you are a star!

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Monday, June 01, 2020
A few months ago I read The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey and I found it an okey-ish entertaining story, featuring a too slow pace and a rather flat writing style.

Thus I was a bit reluctant to start reading The Silver Gryphon, even more so because it is part of a series. Well, it turned out to be a better book than expected, without been extraordinary. After a very slow start (getting familiar with the "world" the plot takes place in took some time), I enjoyed this story. The writing was way better (I haven't read anything else by Larry Dixon, but I guess the credits go to him?) and although the under-currents of the plot weren't exactly original (aging and coming in terms with it, children-parents relashionships etc) and some plot twists felt a bit forced and the pace could be faster on some parts...well, I found this adventure quite pleasant. The end was a bit sharp and some scenes could be written a bit more artfully, but I liked the characters and the way they interacted with each other.

Not a masterpiece or something, but a very decent light fantasy book to pass the time! I don't think these authors/series are available in Greek and I doubt if I would have discovered them if it wasn't through BookCrossing. Thank you for sharing!